Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PITFOUR CASTLEReference: LB17628

Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 05/10/1971


  • Local Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Planning Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Parish: St Madoes

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNO 19948 20880
  • Coordinates319948, 720880


Robert Adam 1784. Roman Castellated. Main block 3-storey

and battered full basement with circular angle towers,

centre S. bow, rubble whinstone with sandstone dressings.

N. courtyard with single storey and loft stable block also

with round towers, hemicycle wall to E. Additions William

Burn 1825, new Library and circular music room to N.W.,

clock tower at S.W., N.E. stable block tower raised; his

entrance hall removed 1964 and re-instatement of N. front

to original design in hand 1966. Interior; oral staircase

with dome figure panels by Zucchi; good chimney-pieces,

plasterwork fairly simple.

Statement of Special Interest

East wing was destroyed by fire July 1969.



N.S.A. vX p.627

No plans survive at Soane Museum. Date obtained from Steuart

Richardson family by present owner. Design transitional stage

between Oxenfoord (1780) and Dalquharran (1786) and closely

related to Seton (1789) (1789) in N. elevations. No plans at

S.N.B.R. for Burn additions but T.L. Donaldson, Memoir of the late William Burn in T.R.I.B.A. 28th March 1870.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 24/05/2016 22:31