Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 20/07/1972


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Mochrum

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNX 33929 43581
  • Coordinates233929, 543581


Late 18th to early 19th century. Former grain mill. 2-storey, attic and basement, rectangular-plan main block. 2 lower 2-storey jambs to E and W elevations to S, forming T-plan. 2 further single storey wings to W elevation. Several further additions. Rubble; S gable of main

block limewashed. Squared granite rybats and quoins. Various window openings, some block with brick.

W (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: 2-storey jamb (former kiln?) adjoined to right. Single storey wing adjoined to left of centre. Piended single storey wing further advanced to left, with doorways to W and S. Basement doorway to right of centre. Openings at centre to both floors, and to left at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: opening at basement and to both floors.

E ELEVATION: 2-storey jamb (drying kiln) adjoined to left; several openings; brick lean-to (store) addition to right return. 2 doorways to right. 2 openings to both floors.

S ELEVATION: partly-rendered rubble lean-to (store) adjoined to gable and jamb to left. Granite coped skews to main block. Rubble gablehead stack, with granite quoins and cope, to N. Modern stack to left to W pitch. Chimney vent to roof of E jamb. Corrugated sheet asbestos to most roofs. Purple and grey slates, with red sandstone ridges, to 2 single storey wings to W.

INTERIOR: overshot water-wheel in main block to N (1988).

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly listed as "Wyllie's Mill". On the OS Map of 1848, the mill is marked as "Port William Mill (Corn)" and a similar plan form is shown. Port William Mill was still in use as a mill in 1976, although driven by electricity; it was latterly used as a grain store.



OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). J Butt THE



THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND Vol I (1976) p 268. NMRS: SIAS survey sheet (1988).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 24/05/2016 07:02