Tower-house with Scottish Baronial alterations and additions. Substantial mansion dating variously from 1567 to 1852. Additions of 1824 by William Burn, completed by James Wylson, circa 1840-1852. Restored 1978-80. Mainly 3-storeys, roughly L-plan incorporating original 16th century Z-plan tower.
Harled with ashlar margins and dressings.
Main S elevation incorporates at W 1567 tower house with earlier 17th century addition; cap-house, crenellated corbelled wallhead, water spouts and decorative gablets to dormer windows. Entrance in re-entrant angle with projecting stair turret rising from 1st floor terminating with slender conical roof.
Gabled E portion of 1824-52 with wide 5-bay return E garden front with projecting outer gables. Hoodmoulded, mullioned and transomed fenestration, canted windows, shaped and crowstepped gables. 5-bay single storey and attic wing with similar fenestration extends at right angles at NE. Varied glazing; coped end, wallhead and ridge stacks; slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance hall, James Wylson, circa 1845 adaption of earlier vaulted undercroft; stumpy (circa 1845) columns with foliated capitals; re-set inscribed stone plaques.
LIBRARY: circa 1845, lined with wooden bookcases under continuous egg and dart frieze.
BLUE SITTING ROOM: vaulted ceiling with embossed plaster motifs and strapwork of 1635-40.
RED DRAWING ROOM: originally 1st floor hall of 1567 castle re-decorated 1820's by William Burn; groined plaster ceiling; ornate panelled chimneypiece with carved figures rising to ceiling height.
DINING ROOM: former 1st floor hall of 17th century wing. Late 17th century heavily embossed ceiling, grained and stained circa 1825. Panelling and doors also grained.
DRAWING ROOM: William Burn, 1824 with painted decoration on architraves, over-doors and ceiling probably dating from 1860's (restored 1982).
BEST BED CHAMBER: 17th century plaster ceiling frieze and corner motifs.
Statement of Special Interest
1567 castle built by Alexander Brodie, 12th Brodie of Brodie, descended from Malcolm, Thane of Brodie (d.1285). Castle continuously in possession of Brodie family until handed over to National Trust for Scotland, by Ninian, 25th Brodie, in 1980 after purchase through Land Fund by SDD.
Celtic stone with cross and interlacing patterns, sited at E entrance of park, a Scheduled Monument (Rodney's Stone).
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xii (1842), p.221-2.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp.52-4.
MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND iv (1892), pp.93-4.
Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840 (1978), p.163.
Christopher Hartley and John Cornforth, 'Brodie Castle, Moray', COUNTRY LIFE, Aug. 7 and 14, 1980.
BRODIE CASTLE GUIDE BOOK, Nat. Trust for Scotland, (1983).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.