Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 09/11/1987
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Dyke And Moy
National Grid Reference
- NGRNJ 1663 60167
- Coordinates301663, 860167
Possibly Colin Williamson of Dyke, circa 1780. Symmetrical S
facing stable and carriage-house range. Pinned ashlar
frontage, rubble return and rear elevations, polished ashlar
2-storey, 9-bay S front with wide slightly advanced and
pedimented outer bay each with large round-headed carriage
house entrance. Similar centre entrance to inner court
flanked by former 3-bay stables. Regular loft windows.
Centre octagonal single stage clock tower with moulded clock
face in S front and louvred (some boarded up) openings in
alternate faces; moulded eaves cornice exaggerated bellcast
octagonal piended slate roof with apex weathervane.
Flanking and apex ball finials formerly decorated outer
pediments (bases survive, some ball finials lie beside
Piended slate roofs.
Statement of Special Interest
Moy House remodelled for Sir Ludovic Grant of Grant by John
Adam 1762-3. A plan of Moy House with extensive stable wings
was drawn by Colin Williamson (Mason in Dyke) circa 1762.
If these stables were constructed they were replaced by the
present range, sited a little further from the mansion, after
1776 for the present stable/carriage house range does not
appear on 'Map of Lands of Moy of 1776'.
Colin Williamson known to have been working on Dyke Church in
1781; he emigrated to America soon after.
South facing range fronting hollow square only included in
listing; rear U-plan complex excluded.
Scottish Record Office RHP 9060. Moray District Record
Office, DGS P1.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.
Sorry, there are no images available for this record.
Sorry, there is no map available for this record.