Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/02/1972


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Botriphnie

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 3715 4411
  • Coordinates337150, 844110


Thomas MacKenzie, 1846-7, additions Alexander Reid (A and W Reid), Elgin, 1865. Rainwater goods dated 1847 and 1865. Picturesque turreted castellated mansion, mainly of 3 storeys over raised basement with SW garden front and NE entrance elevation. Coursed rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings.

Asymmetrical NE front with entrance fronting square 3-storey tower and masked at ground by substantial porte-cochere, itself with large Gothic traceried window and angle turrets. Main outer ranges terminate with angle turrets rising above wallhead and with projecting library window at left of main entrance; 2-storey service range and service court linked to main frontage by single storey, 4-bay block; 2 17th century Duff armorials re-set in wall of service court.

Picturesque 7-bay SW garden front somewhat regularised in 1865 by raising W portion to 3 storeys. Advanced centre bay with projecting canted window rising 2 storeys above raised basement; shallow Tudor- arched lintels to raised basement windows in SW and NW elevations; hoodmoulded 1st floor fenestration; square or horizontal multi-pane glazing. One drum and one corbelled octagonal angle drum-tower.

Hoodmoulded ground floor fenestration; corbelled and crenellated wallheads; batteries of tall coped stacks; slate roofs.

INTERIOR: double-leafed studded entrance door with applied Gothic detailing leading to octagonal vestibule with lierne ribbed ceiling and central boss, angle niches under cusped canopies; glazed door to stair hall with cusped detailing and cusped fanlight. Also entrance left to billiard room.

STAIRHALL: top lit under 3-storey tower. Broad staircase with cusped moulded wooden balustrade; compartmented boarded ceiling with armorial bosses.

LIBRARY: white marble chimneypiece; later cast-iron grate; later 19th century bookcases.

DRAWING-ROOM: cusped panelled dado, doors, window shutters all white painted with gold detailing. Very unusual white and gold wallpaper (1847) reproduced and replaced 1988; cusped panelled white marble chimneypiece; decorative plaster ceiling.

BOUDOIR (between drawing- and dining-rooms): small octagonal room with surviving 1847 white and gold decoration; panelled fittings as in drawing-room.

DINING-ROOM: green and gold painted cusped panelled dado, doors; shutters; monogrammed doors; original Celtic scrolled wallpaper (1847); decorative plaster ceiling; French windows to garden (later enlargement of window).

1ST FLOOR LANDING: arcaded landing surrounds open central square balustraded void (under tower), each side supported by paired Tudor arches with Tudor rose motif in spandrels.

Statement of Special Interest

Castle built by Admiral Archibald Duff at cost of $10,000, 1846-7.

The vestibule and stairhall pay striking homage to those at Taymouth Castle, the influence on Drummuir appearing to be direct.

Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88



THE BUILDER, November 18, 1854, obituary Thomas MacKenzie.

Groome's ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND i (1882), p. 181.

A and H Taylor, THE BOOK OF THE DUFFS ii (1914), p. 365.

Further information by courtesy the present owner and family papers.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 27/05/2016 21:05