Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 18/05/1987


  • Local Authority: Dundee
  • Planning Authority: Dundee
  • Burgh: Dundee

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNO 39529 30369
  • Coordinates339529, 730369


1833 flax mill with mid 19th century ancillary

buildings. a. 1833 2-storey and attic 18-by 3-bay

rubble-built mill. Elevation to Miln Street 18-bay, with

corner bay occupied by a square section chimney built

into the body of the mill, stone to cornice, brick beyond

with an iron tie-band and top 20' removed.

N elevation: window and blocked door to boiler house. 2

tall roundheaded engine house windows with 2 small 1st

floor windows above left again. 13 bays to E are 2-storeys

of 8-pane sash and case windows, with 2 windows replaced

for new entrance. Cornice, and parapet. Slate mansard roof

with continuous skylight and dormer over lift. Stone

party wall between boiler house section and the main mill.

Elevation to West Henderson's Wynd: Gable with chimney

at left, blind ground floor, 3-bay 1st floor, cornice and

3 multi-paned sash and case windows in mansard gable.

S elevation 18 bay with 3 arched bays at W for ground

floor boiler house with 1 window and a hoist door above.

Other openings in ground floor wall, circa 1846-51, for

access from preparing room, some shouldered, some with

cast-iron beams. 1st floor sash and case windows;

corniced and parapet.

Interior: a central row of iron columns with triangular

brackets and saddles, N row of subsidiary columns, 4

with brackets, and S row wooden posts support cross-wise

timber beams and wooden ceiling. Engine house has wheel

pit, wall-boxes and wooden boarded walls and ceiling.

1st floor a single row of iron columns carries lengthwise

wooden beam, with subsidiary cross-beams on wooden posts.

Plastered ceiling. Attic has 2 rows of iron columns

carrying gothic traceried cast-iron roof, possibly a

rebuild after an 1852 fire on Upper Dens Mill lines.

b. Preparing room, circa 1846-51, single storey with

delicate cast-iron roof.

c. Batching rooms E section 1830s, becoming L-plan in

1846-51. Single-storey with iron columns and wooden roof.

2-storey 5-bay front to yard with ground floor doors,

external stone stair to 1st floor, and slate M-roof,

added in 1860s. Iron columns and wooden floors.

d Office, 1830s, 2-storey 3-bay with 2-bay extension

into ground floor of storehouse fronting West Henderson's

Wynd. 12-pane sash and case windows, etched at ground floor.

Slate roof with party wall and 3 ridge stacks.

"Verdant Works" mosaic in doorway. N bay lodge has

balustraded wooden counter. Office has late 19th century

wood and glass panelled partitions and a plaster ceiling.

e. 2-storey and attic storehouse, 1851-7, gable to West

Henderson's Wynd. Ground floor 2 office windows and

iron door under iron lintel. 1st floor wooden loading

door. Skewputts and flat-topped finial to gable. 1 1st

floor window to S (rest blocked by D C Thomson's).

Loading doors to yard on both floors. Wooden floors and

attic on iron ground floor columns and wooden 1st floor


f. Warehouse at SE, 1857-71. M wrought-iron tie-roof

on iron columns. Rubble walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Flax, later jute and tow, mill, later used for hide

processing. Owned successively by D Lindsay, John Ewan,

Ewan and Young, and Alex Thomson. In situ machines

include Singer and Union Special Sewing machines, Harden

Cutter, Bicket Creasing Machine, some machine tools, and

an early dust extractor in the attic. Late 19th century

office furnishings include secretaries desks, scales,

presses etc.

A complete and picturesque group of buildings.



1834 Directory. Letterhead given by A Thomson and Sons.

McKean and Walker (1984) p.85. Shown on 1839 plan of

St David's Parish.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/05/2016 05:55