Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/01/1971


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 12865 68748
  • Coordinates312865, 668748


Late 18th century. Rubble built battered wall with curved bath-house projection at centre and square pavilions.

PAVILIONS: 2-stage, square-plan, ogee-roofed classical garden pavilions. Rusticated ashlar at ground level, rubble with harl-pointing at upper level, ashlar dressings, impost and dividing cornices, raised quoins, eaves band and cornice, channelled margins. Entrance to 1st floor from terrace at N; entrance to lower floor from outside to S.

W PAVILION: E ELEVATION: large round arch opening at centre, fluted console keystone, projecting impost cornice to right and left, recessed entrance proper within. Tripartite entrance, door at centre flanked by 2 windows (now blinded); large oculus in tympanum. Projecting, moulded string course; window at centre at 1st floor. Blocked window at ground and 1st floor of S return. W elevation inaccessible but apparently similar arrangement to E elevation.

N ELEVATION: door at ground, rusticated architrave; interior wooden roof; 12-pane sash and case in S wall; fireplace in W wall.

E PAVILION: similar arrangement to W pavilion but round- arch; console keystone. Ruinous forestair against S wall leading to upper garden, supported by arch buttress on E side. Windows at 1st floor level; replacement windows; door at centre of N elevation, rusticated architrave.

French casement windows. Slate ogival roof; finials broken off.

BATH HOUSE: battered, semi-circular, 2-stage projecting from centre of terrace wall; rubble with ashlar dressings. Door at centre of S front set within battered opening; window to right and left also within heavily splayed surrounds; niche above each opening.

INTERIOR: smooth render; segmental-vaulted; stone bench lining each wall; niche above. Ashlar round bath under rusticated arch at N end, 10 ft in diameter and 4 ft deep; no fittings remain.

Statement of Special Interest

Hatton House was built in the late 17th century by Charles Maitland, subsequently Earl of Lauderdale. The house was the seat of the Lauderdales from 1682-1792. In 1870 the estate was acquired by the Earl of Morton who passed it to his son Lord Aberdour. In more recent times the house belonged to William Whitelaw grandfather of the former MP. The house was burnt in 1952 and demolished in 1955 and the terrace wall, bath house and pavilions along with the garden house and S gates are the only remains of Hatton House. The garden house and S gates are listed separately. In the photographs in JR Findlay's book (1875) the pavilions are unroofed but he does record that in the 1870s repairs and restorations were undertaken by Robert Anderson architect.



C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p247-248. F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETEER OF SCOTLAND (1897) p249. J Tweedie & C Jones OUR DISTRICT (1975) p76-78. J R Findlay HATTON HOUSE (1875). 'Ding it Doon' Herbert Fenwick. COUNTRY LIFE Sept 16th 1911 Vol XXX No 767 pp408. NMRS Newspaper cuttings ML/3104; Small's CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/05/2016 23:12