Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BRAE PARK ROAD, CRAMOND OLD BRIDGEReference: LB27940

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970
  • Supplementary Information Updated: 12/04/2016

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 17950 75466
  • Coordinates317950, 675466

Description

SCHEDULED MONUMENT

Late 15th, early 16th century bridge; rebuilt 1617 - 19; repaired 1687 - 91 (Robert Mylne); 1761; 1776; 1854. Coursed yellow sandstone; moulded ashlar coping; random rubble sandstone to flanking walls.

3 shallow pointed arches; voussoir surrounds above centre and E; projecting, chamfered string course stepped up over arches; curved abutments to E; single weephole to W. Pyramidal caps to cut-waters on intermediate piers (sloped tabling to NW pier). Splayed W arch comprising 3 chamfered soffit ribs; remaining (later) arches without ribs.

Statement of Special Interest

By 1607, this late 15th, early 16th century bridge was ruinous and unpassable. Thus, the granting of a Scottish Act of Parliament that same year determining its rebuilding. The dates of this and successive repairs are inscribed in the N face of the S wall. The NSA draws comparison between the older, groined W arch and those of the Bothwell Bridge over the South Esk. On the outer side of the W parapet is inscribed the date "1619", the tails of the "6" and "9" being "absolutely unique in Midlothian" (G Fothergill).

The monument was scheduled 09/02/1923 and was descheduled 11/04/2016.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH (1845) p601; J Grant, OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1882) vol III, p314-320 (illustrations p315 and 316); Ordnance Survey map, 1895; Dr G Fothergill, STONES AND CURIOSITIES OF EDINBURGH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD, 1910); INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTIES OF MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, (1929), RCAHMS, p38; E MacRae, THE HERITAGE OF GREATER EDINBURGH (1947);

J Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1976) vol 1, p185; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984) p548; M Cant, VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1986) p46; CRAMOND: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE LIFE OF THE VILLAGE AND PARISH THROUGHOUT THE CENTURIES (1989) p21 and 48; J Wood, THE ANTIENT AND MODERN STATE OF THE PARISH OF CRAMOND (reprinted 1994) p62.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 02/05/2016 09:19