Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

DEAN BRIDGE AT QUEENSFERRY ROADReference: LB27941

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/06/1965

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 24271 74005
  • Coordinates324271, 674005

Description

Thomas Telford, 1829-31; later alterations to parapets, 1912. Prominent segmental arched 4-span road bridge with plain classical detailing. Sandstone ashlar. 4 large semi-circular arches set beneath larger segmental arches, springform narrow, hollow rectangular section piers supporting footway. Moulded band course with plain parapet over. Small cast-iron fleur-de-lys to parapet copes.

Statement of Special Interest

Large scale, high-level road bridge carrying a main arterial route into the West End of Edinburgh over the Water of Leith. A late stone bridge design by Thomas Telford spanning a deep gorge, making a dramatic entry into the city. The bridge includes many engineering innovations including hollow piers, to reduce the weight of the structure, which Telford first used at Pont Cysyllte (Rolt). An original 3-span design had to be abandoned because of difficulties in driving the foundations. One of the original designs also included further decorative features such as castellated approaches (linking to the idea of a bridge as the gateway to the city) and decorative spandrels which were never executed. The parapets were made higher in 1912 to try and prevent people jumping off.

The bridge was provided by Lord Provost John Learmonth with the assistance of the Cramond Road Trustees. It appears that Learmonth funded most of the construction himself, although it was the Cramond Road Trustees who stipulated that the bridge should be designed by Thomas Telford. Learmonth's provision of funds was not a wholly public spirited gesture as the bridge gave better access to his lands to the N of the Western New Town and provided the potential to develop the area around Learmonth Terrace. Although publically the bridge was a success it did not have the immediate effect for which Learmonth had hoped, with the first feus in Clarendon Crescent (see separate listing) not being taken up until 1850. Despite the lack of immediate development to the north of the bridge, it provided a key high level arterial route into the city, avoiding the steep gradients at the Dean Village (see separate listing) and Bell's Mills bridges.

Thomas Telford was one of the most influential and innovative engineers of the 19th century. He built a number of major bridges, most famously Iron Bridge in Shropshire and the Menai Straits both of which were major engineering innovations. He worked mainly on roads in Scotland, building a number of important bridges including an unusual circular arch road bridge at Bannockburn (see separate listing). The Dean Bridge design used a similar design to a smaller bridge he built at Lothian Bridge (1827 -1831) near Pathhead in Midlothian (see separate listing).

(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)

References

Bibliography

James Kay, Kay's Plan of Edinburgh (1836); Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1849 -53); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 387; John Hume, The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland, 1, Lowlands and Borders, (1985); LTC Rolt, Thomas Telford, (1979); BC Skinner, The Origins of the Dean Bridge Project, The Book of the Old Edinburgh Club, No. 30 (1959).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 31/05/2016 15:10