Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

122 CORSTORPHINE ROAD, BEECHWOOD HOUSE (MURRAYFIELD HOSPITAL), INCLUDING 112-114 (EVEN NOS), BOUNDARY WALL, SECTION OF GARDEN WALL AND OUT-BUILDING, CORSTORPHINE ROADReference: LB28031

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 14/07/1966

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 21126 73045
  • Coordinates321126, 673045

Description

1780. 2-storey and basement 5-bay symmetrical classical mansion. William Sibbald added slightly recessed, symmetrical 3-bay single storey and basement wings, circa 1799. Polished, coursed sandstone ashlar to front elevation, with polished sandstone dressings; main block harled at sides, rubble to sides of wings. Band course between basement and ground floor; blind balustrade between basement and ground floor of wings; cornice and blocking course; quoins to main block; raised margins and block cills.

S (FRONT) ELEVATION: perron staircase to Doric doorpiece to centre at ground; doors to returns of staircase at each side at basement; window to each remaining bay at basement, wings included; doorpiece at ground comprises pair of columns (with narrow light between) supporting entablature and flanking panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight; window to bays at either side, main block; large window to each bay at ground floor of wings; window to each bay of main block at 2nd floor.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case glazing (18-pane to ground floor of wings). Grey slate piended roof to main block and to wings; shouldered wallhead stacks to main block, adjoining transverse coped stacks to wings; tall cylindrical cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.

112-114 (EVEN NOS) CORSTORPHINE ROAD: 2-storey, 3-bay, near symmetrical, late 18th century house. Door to centre at ground, window flanking at each side, both floors; small window at ground to outer left; window to left at both floors of right (side) elevation; single storey lean-to porch to right. Timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; skews; coped ridge and gablehead stacks; moulded cylindrical cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble wall.

SECTION OF GARDEN WALL AND OUT-BUILDING: corner section of ashlar-coped rubble wall with 2-storey piend-roofed out-building at intersection. Wall swept to ashlar-framed gateway with (later) wrought-iron gate. Grey slates, stone skews, timber-boarded door and small-pane glazed timber window to out-building.

Statement of Special Interest

Built in 1780 for Francis Scott, second son of the laird of Harden. The 3-storey wings were added by William Sibbald circa 1799. In the 19th century, it became the seat of Sir Robert Dundas Baronet. The site once commanded some of the most magnificent views in Edinburgh, before later developments in the area. In 1984, the house was converted into hospital accommodation by Gordon and Latimer.

References

Bibliography

OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1791-9), p447; NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1845), p215; RCAHMS INVENTORY (1951), p229; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p 629; J Wallace, HISTORIC HOUSES OF EDINBURGH (1987), p184.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 05/05/2016 13:27