Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: B
- see notes
- Date Added: 14/12/1970
- Supplementary Information Updated: 25/02/2000
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGRNT 24510 76973
- Coordinates324510, 676973
Circa 1828 with later alterations, including 1965 redevelopment. 2-storey and part attic, fine austere classical 3-bay villa with single storey pavilions; centre of themed and linked group of 3. Lightly droved sandstone ashlar, squared and coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings to sides and rear. Base and blocking courses, eaves cornice.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: taller pedimented 2-storey and attic bay recessed to centre, flanked by lower advanced 2-storey bays with block pediments. Bowed stone porch set in recessed centre with entablature and blocking course; tripartite entrance with dividing fluted Doric columns; 2-leaf timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlight. Regular fenestration in recessed panels in remaining bays, that to centre segmental-headed.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: pedimented 3-storey bay to centre with 2-storey with piend-roofed canted window (modern French door to ground floor) and tripartite window in pedimented gable above. Decorative wrought-iron balcony at 1st floor level. Regular fenestration in recessed panels in flanking bays.
E & W ELEVATIONS: flanking wings have piended roofs to front (S), pedimented gables to rear, facing W and E.
INTERIORS: classic black marble diningroom chimneypiece in centre ground floor room. Photographs taken in 1966 in NMRS
Timber lying-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows on S elevation, plate glass to centre window at 1st floor; plate glass in timber sash and case windows to rear. Graded grey slates. Low wallhead stacks with circular cans.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATEPIERS: low ashlar walls to front with base course, ashlar coping. High coursed sandstone rubble wall with arched coping to Lower Granton Road. Later decorative wrought-iron railings, designed 1913 (see Notes), gates and paired cast-iron gateposts. Walls and railings continuous across 3 villas.
Statement of Special Interest
B Group comprises Manor House (17 Boswall Road), Boswall House (19 Boswall Road) and Forthview House (21 and 23 Boswall Road - formerly Wardiebank House), forming together a quasi-Baroque composition, spectacularly sited on the edge of the raised beach overlooking the Forth. Battered retaining wall runs along the edge of the slope to the N of all 3 properties. The linking flat-roofed pavilions (whose fenestration has suffered several alterations) may have been built later, as the villas are shown as 3 separate blocks on the 1828 PO Directory map. The linking flat-roofed pavilions (whose fenestration has suffered several alterations) may have been built later, as the Post Office Directories map shows the villas as 3 separate blocks. However, the linking pavilions are clearly present on Johnstone's very accurate map of 1851, and the PO maps continue to show 3 separate blocks util 1860.
An entry in the Edinburgh Evening Courant of August 15th 1836 may give a clue to the architect of these villas. Captain JD Boswall advertises that his lands 'of Windstrawlee and Wardie... are to be fued for every description of Villa, double or single Houses, shops and such other buildings as the increasing trade and intercourse by steam navigation may require, on the establishment of the great steam packet landing place (at Granton).... Lithographic plans are in preparation,' by Dicksons Architects, 9 Blenheim Place. Although this date is too late for the Wardie villas, stylistic resemblances with Dicksons' Gardner's Crescent and Leith Town Hall can be discerned.
The ornamental railings extending along the frontage of Manor House, Boswall House and Forthview House came originally from the RMS Aquitania, built by John Brown and Co Ltd for the Cunard Steamship Company in 1913. Illustrations in THE SHIPBUILDER, June, 1913, show the ironwork in the lounge, restaurant and staircase, and the present garden gates as elevator gates. Sir JD Pollock, who owned Manor, Boswall and Forthview Houses from c1920 until his death in 1962, was the owner of a ship-breaking company which became Metal Industries Ltd. The Aquitania was not retired until 1949, but she was requisitioned in both World Wars, so it is possible that the ornamental ironwork was removed at an earlier date. Pollock (also donor of Pollock Halls and other University properties), lived in Manor House, while Boswall and Forthview Houses were used as the Pollock Missionary Residencies.
Manor House, Boswall House and Forthview House were developed in 1965 by Broadland Properties (architects Walter Duns of Duns, Berwickshire), their intention being to convert the houses into 12 flats (Scotsman 30.6.65), with the addition of garages and mews flats to the E. Not all the subdivision was carried out, and Manor House has since returned to single ownership.
Appears on 1828 PO Directory map. THE SHIP BUILDER June 1913. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p609.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.