Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

4-16 (EVEN NOS) CARLTON STREET, INCLUDING RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDSReference: LB28459

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 12/08/1965

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 24493 74428
  • Coordinates324493, 674428

Description

James Milne, designed 1824. Extensive terrace of 2-storey and basement, 3-bay townhouses in plain classical style with continuous balustraded parapet and cast-iron 1st floor balconies. Sandstone ashlar, rusticated at ground floor. Entrance platts oversailing basement area recess to street. Banded base course; banded cill course at 1st floor; corniced eaves course with balustraded parapet above. Inset doorways; timber doors with rectangular fanlights (some with geometric glazing pattern). Moulded architraved and corniced windows at 1st floor.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: coursed squared rubble with droved ashlar rybats, lintels and cills. Regular fenestration.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern timber sash and case windows, 6- over 9-pane at 1st floor. Double-pitched roof; grey slates. Corniced ashlar ridge stacks with some octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Cast-iron railings edging basement area recess to street; cast-iron lamp standards with large bowl shades.

INTERIOR: (selection of interiors seen 2010) classical decorative scheme characterised by decorative cornicing and large drawing rooms. Some large entrance vestibules with cornicing, stone stairs with well-detailed cast iron balustrade and timber handrail, topped by large oval cupolas with decorative plasterwork beneath. Large ground and 1st floor drawing rooms to front with elaborate cornicing, some ceiling roses and some large marble fireplaces. Cornicing continues throughout, less elaborate to upper floors. Some working window shutters. Majority of interiors subdivided to form later flats.

Statement of Special Interest

Well proportioned terrace of townhouses with fine architectural detailing such as corniced 1st floor windows and continuous balustraded parapet. The design is a major example of early to mid nineteenth century urban classicism in Edinburgh, forming part of the development of the land of Sir Henry Raeburn and designed by prominent architect James Milne. The terrace is an integral part of Edinburgh's New Town, which is an outstanding example of classical urban planning that was influential throughout Britain and Europe.

Henry Raeburn was born in Stockbridge and acquired the house and grounds of Deanhaugh through marriage, before adding adjacent land at St Bernard's. He occupied St Bernard's House until his death in 1823 when it was demolished to accommodate the growing residential development of the estate, making space for the eastern side of Carlton Street. The authorship of James Milne for the whole development is not certain, but the elevations for the principal streets bear the characteristic features of his designs elsewhere, such as Lynedoch place (see separate listing) where the street fronting gardens found on Ann Street are also used.

James Milne was an architect and mason working in Edinburgh between 1809 and 1834 (when he moved to Newcastle). His other works in Edinburgh also include Lynedoch Place and Saxe-Coburg Place (see separate listings). Milne was also the author of The Elements of Architecture only the 1st volume of which was published in Edinburgh in 1812.

(List description updated at re-survey 2012).

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1849 - 53). Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan (1893-4). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p407. A J Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh (1988) pp271-2. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p658. Richard Roger, The Transformation of Edinburgh: Land, Property and Trust in the Nineteenth Century (2004) p248.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 26/05/2016 19:23