Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Group Category Details: A - see notes
  • Date Added: 14/12/1970


  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 24644 73537
  • Coordinates324644, 673537


John Tait, circa 1830-1840, with later alterations. 3-storey over basement, 8-bay near-symmetrical terrace. Broached sandstone ashlar at basement; polished sandstone ashlar above with polished dressings; squared and snecked rubble to SE elevation. Band course between basement and ground floors and between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 2nd floor; coped blocking course to cornice above. Windows at ground and 1st floors recessed with projecting cills and plain aprons; architraves with cornices and moulded reveals to outer doorways (Nos 2 and 4); ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: segmental-arched doorway with timber door and 3-pane segmental-arched fanlight at basement in bays beneath oversailing platts; windows in remaining bays. Deep-set timber panelled door with 4-pane rectangular fanlight to doorways at 3rd bay from either end (Nos 2 and 4 respectively) at ground floor; identical arrangement to plain doorway at left of No 4 (No 3). Regular fenestration to flanking bays and to all bays of upper floors.

SE ELEVATION: window at lower basement in bay to centre and in recessed bay to outer right; door with 3-pane fanlight to intervening bay and in bay at left; window at each central bay above, with additional window to left at attic.

NW ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.

NE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

12-pane timber sash and case windows; 2-bay timber sash and case window at ground floor to SE elevation. Grey slate roof; coped skews. Coped, cement-rendered stacks with cylindrical cans to SE wallhead, at centre and to NW (mutual). Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARD: spear-headed (plain up steps to doors) cast-iron railings on ashlar copes; cast-iron railing-mounted lamp standard with glass globe to No 2.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Archibald Elliot planned the Rutland Square/Street scheme in 1819 for James Stuart. The scheme is outlined on John Wood's revised edition of the map first published by Thomas Brown in 1820, although at that stage it was still speculative. John Learmonth did not buy the ground until 1825, and he developed it from 1830. John Tait, his architect, worked to Elliot's plans and adopted the giant Corinthian pilaster motif at the entrance to the square (1 Rutland Square/28 Rutland Street and 32 Rutland Square/27 Rutland Street, listed separately). This part of the square does not appear on the 1840 PO Directory map, but the other 3 sides of Rutland Square do. The homogeneity of the Rutland development as a whole was compromised when half of the south-east side of Rutland Street was demolished to make way for the Caledonian Station and Nos 5-9 (odd nos), the rear of St Thomas' Church, were re-faced in the Romanesque manner in 1882 by Wardrop and Reid. Rutland Square, however, remains elegantly intact and, together with the remaining portions of Rutland Street, constitutes an important example of early 19th century planning in Edinburgh.



J Wood, (1823); PLAN OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, INCLUDING ALL THE LATEST AND INTENDED IMPROVEMENTS, circa 1827; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p379.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 01/06/2016 00:42