A and W Reid, 1868-70. Italian Renaissance. 2 storeys, 3-bay
entrance to N, 6-bay elevation to Tolbooth Street. Finely
stugged ashlar with polished ashlar dressings, rubble flanks
to S and E. Vitruvian scroll between ground and 1st floors,
rosettes in frieze, cornice, die parapet with terminal
finials to both facades.
N FACADE: shallow advanced centre bay with paved Roman Doric
columned portico; pilastered and shafted round-arched
tripartite above, with broad outer pilaster strips supporting
frieze inscribed "Falconer Museum" and pediment enclosing
portrait bust and crowning anthemion. Outer bays with round-
arched pilastered windows in each floor, shell decoration and portrait-mask keystone at ground, 1st floor windows recessed
W ELEVATION: similar details, 2 centre bays advanced with
panelled parapet; all 1st floor windows bipartite. Piended
Statement of Special Interest
The Museum was founded by bequests by Alexander Falconer in
1856, and by his brother, Dr Hugh Falconer. W facade
commemorate's (left to right) Hugh Miller, Sir Walter Scott,
Sir Davie Brewster, Edmund Forbes, Dr John Malcolmson and
Former Item 133 (1983 Revised List)
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.