Charles Wilson, architect; designed 1855-6; Nos 1-16 built 1857-9; Nos 18-22 built 1861-3 (No 22 by J Boucher 1872); Nos 23-29 built 1872-3. Symmetrically arranged circus of astylar Italianate terraces around oval garden, intersected by Park Gate (E), Park Street South, and Park Circus Place (W). 3-bays per house; 3-storeys and basement. Shallow advanced central (9-bay) and terminal (3-bay) pavilions. Polished ashlar, partly stonecleaned, rusticated at ground with vermiculated margins and smooth keystones. Continuous band/string courses between floors; Vitruvian scroll band at 1st floor (much repaired at Nos 23-29) paterae at eaves course. Modillion cornice, blocking course. Steps oversailing basements to tripartite doorpieces with glazed sidelights. All ground floor openings shouldered. Upper windows all architraved with mutule cornice at 1st floor.
Plate glass or 4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Axial stacks, slate roofs. Good cast-iron railings to basement and steps.
INTERIORS: much fine interior work survives including Corinthian screens to main rooms; cornicing and ceiling rose work; fine timber panelling and fire places; Ionic arched screens to halls; elaborate cast-iron balusters to stairs; carved timber newel posts. No 18 with fine panelled drawing room and decorative hall by William Leiper, 1891. Particularly exceptional interior at No 22 by James Boucher: Art Nouveau front door; hall with groin vaulted mosaic cupolas supported on marble Corinthian columns. Early Renaissance-style stair rising in tunnel vaults. Many elaborate art nouveau fireplaces of wood and marble, leaded glass cupola over stair. Billiard room by Salmon, Son and Gillespie 1905.
Flanks: No 9 Park Street South; 2-bay elevation with billiard room extension to rear. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground. Canted oriel window to 1st floor with cast-iron balustrade over.
No 23, flank to Park Street South; advanced 3-bay blocks; polished ashlar, channelled at ground. 1st floor window consoled and corniced; corbelled oriel window to Southernmost bay; multi-pane glazing. Paired stack linked by cornice; flanking segmentally pedimented
dormer. Mews and billiard room to rear with balustraded parapet. Similarly detailed mews to 22 Park Circus (No 9 Park Street South).
Associated mews buildings and boundary walls to rear fronting Park Circus Lane and Park Terrace Lane.
Statement of Special Interest
Part of the Woodlands Hill 'A Group' including Park Terrace, Park Circus Place and Park Quadrant, Lyndoch Street and Lyndoch Crescent (see separate listings).
Outstanding mid 19th century circus of terraced Italianate townhouses constructed on a monumental scale around an oval plan, forming the centre-piece of the Kelvingrove Park and Woodlands area of the city. Much exceptional interior detailing, particularly at Nos 18-22.
The associated former stable mews and boundary walls fronting Park Terrace Lane and Park Circus Lane to the rear of the Park Circus terraces are an integral part of the functional planned design, adding to the wider architectural and historic interest of the group.
Nos 1-16 are shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1856-9.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.