Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

1-6 (INCLUSIVE NOS) PARK GARDENS AND PARK GARDENS LANEReference: LB32240

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970

Location

  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 57458 66195
  • Coordinates257458, 666195

Description

Charles Wilson, architect; circa 1855. Astylar

Italianate terrace of 6 houses, each with 2-bay

elevation with full-height bay windows, linked by cast-

iron balconies. 3-storeys, attic and basement; polished

ashlar, channelled at ground, mostly painted or stone-

cleaned. Wide flights of steps, with pierced and

scrolled stone parapets oversailing basement, to

tripartite doorpieces. All ground floor openings

tripartite with pilastered reveals and mullions. Ground

floor bay windows square; canted at upper floors. All

other windows architraved; consoled and corniced at 1st

floor. Sash windows; plate-glass or 4-pane glazing. Band

courses over ground and 2nd floors. Eaves cornice; plain

parapet with sculpted shell decoration over bay

windows; otherwise roof balustrade. Axial stacks, slate

roofs. Cast-iron railings to basement area.

7-bay flank to East, 5-bay flank to West; both with

centre 3 bays shallow advanced with roof balustrade

over: otherwise deep plain parapet (that to East with

incised decoration). Rear elevation with full-height

projecting square bays.

Interiors: elaborate cornice plasterwork; Corinthian

screens to ground floor. Good cast-iron balusters

with carved wood newel posts. No 1, circa 1900 upper

door panels of wrought-iron; curved inner door and

fanlight.

Park Gardens Lane; mews range combines as retaining

wall, droved ashlar. Vehicle openings at ground, loft

windows at 1st floor and dwarf gallery above. Corniced

stacks treated as piers; some slit ventilators. Nos 1

and 2 (rear No 2 Park Gardens) John J Burnet, architect;

1906. Stables with servant accommodation over. Ground

floor, modern window alterations. Polished ashlar; huge

lugged architrave frames ground and 1st floors. Deeply

recessed opening at ground, balcony above, roll moulded

surround. Cast-iron bombe section balustrade to balcony

with grotesque-headed handrail.

Balustraded roof parapet linking wallhead stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.

Upgraded B to A 20.5.86

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker 1968; p.293. Plan of 1 Park Gardens

Lane stables and servants' quarters, dated 1906, John

Burnet and Son. SR Archives D of G 2/1669.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 01/05/2016 14:42