David and James Hamilton architects, 1833-40. Bridge, originally spanning Molindar Burn, now spans Wishart Street. Gates, gatepiers, gatehouse (all by Hamilton) and lodge (dated 1890) sited to W of Bridge near Cathedral Square. These form Hamilton's grand processional way from Cathedral Square across the Bridge of Sighs to John Bryces monumental Screen Wall at Necropolis linking with (see separate item, Ward 24).
Bridge of Sighs: James Hamilton of David and James Hamilton, 1833. Single span semi-circular arch masonry bridge crossing Wishart Road. Main span 60ft approx. Smaller asymmetrical arches allow pedestrian traffic to pass. Droved ashlar soffits and spandrels, polished voussoirs, ogee moulded arch ring. Polished coped parapet, rebuilt and stepped up at centre of arch, setted roadway. Substantial abutments and flanks.
Gates and Gatepiers: Gatepiers David Hamilton, 1838, ironwork of gates by T Edington. To Cathedral Square pair of substantial square plan polished ashlar gatepiers. Chamfered arrises, brackets support corniced cope. On cope, pair of cast-iron lampbrackets.
Gates: elaborate iron gates in cast panels riveted to wrought-iron frame. Centrepiece has coat of arms and inscription: WILLIAM BROWN OF KILMADINNY, DEAN OF GUILD, MDCCCXXXVIII.
Lodge: David Hamilton, architect, 1839-40. Small square plan gatehouse with taller tower projecting from SE angle. Droved ashlar, polished basecourse. Door to N is round-arched and recessed within rectangular panel of masonry with bracketted lintel. Roll moulded archivolt, fanlight, double-leaf doors. Windows to main block similarly detailed, round-arched, now all blocked. To tower square-headed recessed hoodmoulded windows some with surviving sash and case windows with 4-lying-pane glazing.
Foliate frieze at eaves, eaves cornice, deep plain corniced parapet.
Superintendents House: 2-storey and attic lodge Tudor gothic style. Main elevation to N single storey due to steeply sloping site with simple symmetrical entrance frontage. Stugged ashlar, polished painted openings with gothic details. Steps to central hoodmoulded doorpiece, architraved door with shouldered fanlight.
Windows to N elevation single light with architraves and shouldered lintels, sash and case with 4-pane glazing. Moulded eaves cornice. 2 piended dormers, end skews, end stacks with tall diamond cans, set singly or in groups, slate roofs.
Other elevations asymmetrical with variety of window types, all sash and case, some 4-pane, some single light. W elevation has oriel added 1890 and dated. E elevation double gabled, to right, bipartite projecting canted window with lead roof. To left, hoodmoulded bipartite window to ground, single light above.
Rear (S) elevation: with 2-window projection breaking through eaves at 1st floor in large box dormer. Single storey projecting range to left with tall diamond cans, slate roofs.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.