Jack Coia, 1963. Modern Movement block on corner site comprised of 4-storey and single storey flat-roofed sections, with basement. Concrete frame partially revealed, with blue-black brick infill and panels. Horizontal fenestration in steel cases, with clerestorey; casement windows.
S (Greendyke Street) elevation: 7-bay, stair windows in 5th bay from left, recessed above ground floor; ground floor largely brick with clerestorey to basement bays at right with segmental fanlight to stairwell above; doorway to outer left and clerestorey to ground floor. Generous horizontal fenestration to 1st floor classrooms. 2nd and 3rd floors with balconies on bevelled cantilevers horizontal glazing; recessed clerestorey lights. Cantilevered canopy roof.
E (Charlotte Street) elevation: single storey and basement gymnasium section to right, on rising ground. Detailed as S elevation at ground, with basement clerestorey; 2 large windows continuing from S elevation to outer left at 1st floor, with deep clerestorey windows to gymnasium to centre and under roofline to right. Single storey linking bays recessed to outer right with flat-roof, 2-leaf glazed doors and curved brick stairwell serving basement only to ground floor height. 2nd and 3rd floor in continuous bands of concrete brick and clerestorey.
N elevation: 2nd and 3rd floors above gymnasium roof, detailed as S elevation without recessed bay of stair windows.
W elevation: abutted at ground and 1st floor by TA hall; 2nd and 3rd floors detailed as E elevation.
Interior: tall gymnasium and galleried hall to N section. Changing rooms, classrooms and home economics rooms in 4-storey section. Floor plans dominated by brick stairwells, largely without corridors. Black tiled floors, boarded timber ceilings. Varnished timber screen to stairs continuing from basement floor to roof height. Mural frieze, 1965, on Elizabethan theme, in school hall.
Statement of Special Interest
This Le Corbusier-inspired design was exhibited at the RSA in 1965. Isi Metzstein was in charge of work here, and the opening on 16th April 1964, was recorded by a plaque. The Roman Catholic Convent school first opened in 1849; its closure is confirmed for 1989. The 1954 building to N, by Gillespie, Kidd and Coia (not included in current listings) bears similarities with the same architects' earlier design for Knightswood Secondary School, conceived in 1938.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.