Alexander Kirkland, architect. George Martin, engineer.
1851-3. Rebuilt in 1851 to replace an early 19th-century
timber footbridge, wrought-ironwork rebuilt 1871 by Bell
and Miller to reduce the camber and increase the dip by 7'.
Suspension bridge over River Clyde with single span of
Pylons are classical triumphal archways composed of fluted
Ionic columns in antis flanked by Doric pilasters (paired
Doric pilasters to bridge face) in polished honey coloured
sandstone, central arch with moulded archivolt and
keystone. These support entablature with deep plain
frieze and cornice with blocking course. The chains break
through the frieze. The deck is made of wrought-iron
lattice girders and suspended on two pairs of 4 and 5 bar
flat link chains. The walkway is tarmacadamed. The
parapet is of thin latticework wrought-iron. The bridge
retains some of its original cast-iron lampbrackets.
Statement of Special Interest
A group with Victoria, Albert Union Railway, King George V and Jamaica bridges.
Originally a halfpenny was charged to pedestrians.
In 1926 girders, suspenders and floor were replaced in steel.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.