Print this record
There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: A
- See Notes
- Date Added: 15/12/1970
- Local Authority: Glasgow
- Planning Authority: Glasgow
- Burgh: Glasgow
National Grid Reference
- NGRNS 56779 66821
- Coordinates256779, 666821
J Gaff Gillespie (Salmon, Son & Gillespie), 1900. 4-bay, 3-storey and attic Art Nouveau terraced house with bell-cast turret. Polished ashlar sandstone, channeled at ground floor; ground floor cill band; simple recessed architraves to ground floor windows.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Entrance at base of full-height canted bay, 2nd from N; architraved, corniced. 1st floor round-headed window N bay, solid corbelled balcony in front with decorative wrought-iron panel. Dentil band, cornice over S bays, canted bay breaking through cornice with cill band, multi-light fully glazed attic windows divided by timber strips, projecting eaves, bell-cast roof. Raised section to left attached to turret.
Sash and case windows, multi-pane glazing. Slate roofs; gabled dormer; corniced mutual stacks.
INTERIOR (seen 1988): numerous original features including: oak beamed entrance hall with Art Nouveau and Glasgow Style fittings and panelling. Fretwork door with stained glass panels. Sculpted head stair newels. Further fittings and fixtures in main rooms. Stained glass by Oscar Paterson (1863-1934).
BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS: boundary walls and piers with cushion caps flanking entrance steps; cast-iron railings now missing.
Statement of Special Interest
12 University Gardens forms an A-Group with 2-10 University Gardens, 1 University Gardens, 14 University Gardens and 11-13 University Gardens (see separate listings)12 University Gardens is of outstanding interest as a near intact example of the work of a prominent Glasgow architect, John Gaff Gillespie (1870-1926) and of the use of the Art Nouveau, 'Glasgow Style' which characterised development in the city during this period. The building is a fine example of the work of one of the members of the so called 'Glasgow Style' which also included Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The architectural design is characteristic of this style with a use of e strong abstract forms and clean organic shapes and lines. The design of 12 University Gardens is characterised throughout by the interpretation of this style, particularly in the prominent entrance tower with curved bell-cast roof and in the fittings of the interior. The building also exhibits the interest of the designers who formed part of the Glasgow Style in historic techniques of construction and design motifs. This is particularly evident in the oak beamed entrance hall, and the use of some classical design features to the exterior, such as the dentilled cornice which links the building to its setting adjacent to the classical villa at 14 University Gardens (see separate listing).
Dean of Guild records show that No. 12 was commissioned by William S Workman (of George Smith & Sons, merchants and shipowners) from Salmon, Son & Gillespie. The house was acquired by the University in the 1950s.
Principal works of the Salmon, Son & Gillespie firm include the Marine Hotel at Troon (1897), the Glasgow Savings Bank at Anderston Cross (1899), and Lion Chambers in Hope Street (1904).
Formerly listed as '12 University Gardens'. Originally known as 'Saughfield Crescent'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1909; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Ref. 1/7737; The Studio, (1900) pp. 104-110; D Walker 'The Partnership of James Salmon & John Gaff Gillespie' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) p. 239; M Donnelly, Glasgow Stained Glass, (1981), p. 25; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 187; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 348-349; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), pp. 174, 181; R O'Donnell, James Salmon, 1873-1924, (2003) pp. 40-41, 88-89; 'University Gardens' buildings search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk and www.scran.ac.uk (accessed 03-03-2010).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.