John James Burnet (Burnet, Son and Campbell), 1904. 3-storey and attic, asymmetrical 3-bay Renaissance terraced house. Polished ashlar, channelled at ground floor.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Anta pillars and pilasters flanking doorway and canted bay to right forming portico and supporting 1st floor solid parapet with cast-iron plant boxes, single light and tripartite windows in N bays. Canted bay rising from 1st to 2nd floor in N bay with windows in recessed margins, corbelled out at 2nd floor. Set back tripartite gabled dormer with tall, narrow, attached stack to right. Plain windows in S bays. 2nd floor modillion cornice in S bays, corniced tripartite dormer above.
Timber sash and case windows with glazing bars, 6-pane upper sashes to 1st floor windows. Slate roof; corniced mutual and wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR (seen 1988): carved timber entrance hall chimneypiece. Stained glass hall light. Ground floor room with columned, raised area. Extensive timber panelling. Carved timber newels. Open carved timber 1st floor screen.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND ENTRANCE PIERS: boundary walls and piers with cushion capped pier to right of entrance steps; short length of cast-iron railing to left of entrance; other railings now missing.
Statement of Special Interest
14 University Gardens forms an A-Group with 2-10 University Gardens, 12 University Gardens, 1 University Gardens and 11-13 University Gardens (see separate listings)14 University Avenue is of outstanding interest as a virtually intact high quality townhouse by the nationally significant architect John James Burnet. The architectural design is executed in high quality materials and exhibits a range of features in the Renaissance style, including a prominent doorpiece flanked by anta pilasters and a ground floor portico. The interior is highly detailed and survives with little alteration. Details of note include a columned ground floor room and staircase with elaborately carved newels. The design is characteristic of Burnet's move to the so call 'free style' of architecture which rejected a scholarly use of historicist styles in favour of a freer use of traditional architectural methods and motifs, as seen in the combination of architectural devices in the design for University Gardens.
Of outstanding interest as an intact high-quality townhouse by the major Glasgow architect, John James Burnet. The house is now in use as a University departmental building, but retains many fine interior features from the period of its construction.
Dean of Guild records show that No. 14 University Gardens was commissioned by William Bottomley from John Burnet & Son. Bottomley was a patent agent of the firm Bottomley & Liddle.
John James Burnet was one of Scotland's leading architects in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Son of another architect, John Burnet Senior, he trained at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Burnet was a pioneer of the stylistic move from historicist styles to a tradition-based, but free-style architecture. He developed enormously successful and influential practices in Glasgow and London, designing a number of eminent buildings including the Fine Art Institute, Athenaeum Theatre, Charing Cross Mansions, Atlantic Chambers and Clyde Navigation Trust Offices in Glasgow and the Kodak Building, the second and third phases of Selfridges, Adelaide House, and the King Edward VII Wing at the British Museum in London. Burnet was knighted for the latter project in 1914. Commissions for the University of Glasgow included: the Bower Building (1900), Anatomical (Thomson) Building (1900-01), James Watt Engineering North Building (1901 and 1908), University Chapel (1923-29), Zoology Building (1923), and Hunter Memorial (1925). The neighbouring Glasgow Western Infirmary also employed Burnet Sr and John James Burnet for a number of projects.
Formerly listed as '14 University Gardens'. Originally known as 'Saughfield Crescent'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.
Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan: Glasgow, 1894; Glasgow University Archives, Drawings Collection Ref. GB 0248 GUA BUL/6/49/1; Mitchell Library, Dean of Guild Collection, Ref. 2/50; information on William Bottomley, who previously lived at 15 University Gardens, in Glasgow Post Office Directory 1893-94; D Walker 'John James Burnet' in Edwardian Architecture & its Origins (A Service, ed.), (1975) pp. 200, 214 n33; A M Doak (ed.), Glasgow at a Glance - An Architectural Handbook, (1977) No. 161; A Gomme, D Walker, Architecture of Glasgow, (1987); C McKean, D Walker, F Walker, Central Glasgow: Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland Illustrated Architectural Guide, (1989) p. 187; E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs, The Buildings of Scotland: Glasgow, (1990) p. 348-349; Gordon R Urquhart, Along Great Western Road - An Illustrated History of Glasgow's West End, (2000), pp. 174, 181; 'University Gardens' buildings search at www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 03-03-2010).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.