Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

261 ST VINCENT STREET, ST VINCENT STREET CHURCH (ORIGINALLY UP, FORMER UNITED FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, NOW FREE CHURCH)Reference: LB33150

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 06/07/1966

Location

  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 58313 65551
  • Coordinates258313, 665551

Description

Alexander Thomson (A and G Thomson) 1857-59. Greek Revival individually interpreted. Rectangular temple plan with lower aisles raised on full-storey podium containing halls and other apartments with graduated

plinth; tall rectangular tower at NE, linked to lower section and breaking into main body of church behind temple front. Ashlar. Hexastyle fluted Ionic temple fronts to N and S; entablature; pediment with antefixae and acroterion; dwarf-pilastered clerestory with ramped

blind openings to returns; pilastered aisles.

Ground floor outer bays: symmetrical anta, pedimented doorpieces set in die walls with linking entablature; dwarf pilastraded narrow windows in central bays.

W RETURN TO PITT STREET IN SLOPE OF HILL RISING TO FULL BASEMENT: recessed, consoled side entrance; ground floor continuous architraved small windows with paterae repeated at rear elevation. Pedimented doorpiece set in glazed pilastrade to rear elevation.

TOWER: banded ashlar; ramped openings with recessed, anta mullion; oblong openings with anthemion on panel. Consoled recessed panel; clock faces; ramped door in each direction; pinnacles; bell-shaped cupola on squat column colonnade, upper part open ribs.

INTERIOR: unusual internal arrangement - the floor of the church is contained in the upper part of the substructure, only the gallery level and above are within the "temple". Galleries and clerestory supported

on stylised Greek cast-iron columns; end walls with pilaster decoration; pulpit set in panelling; coffered ceiling decorations.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as United Presbyterian Church. From 1890 to 1929 it became a United Free Church, latterly Church of Scotland and now a Free Church. It is the only complete church by Alexander Thomson to survive.

References

Bibliography

Gomme and Walker 1968 pp 129, 131-4, 140, 295.

J Mordaunt Crook ... THE GREEK REVIVAL McFadzean THOMSON p 102-105.

Doak (ed) 1977, No 64.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 03/05/2016 11:42