Charles Wilson, 1854. Venetian Renaissance. 3 bays to West
Nile Street, 5 to West George Street, 5 + 1 return bays to
Nelson Mandela Place. Painted ashlar, channelled at ground
floor, vertically tooled at angles and around windows. Plinth
rising to cill band of ground floor. All windows casement,
roundheaded. Pilastered entrance to No 68 West George Street,
arched with sculpted relief spandrels. Keyblocks with carved
heads of law lords by A Handyside Ritchie at ground floor.
Ground floor triglyph frieze, guttae, mutule cornice. 1st
floor balustraded balcony, blind at N and E bays in Nelson
Mandela Place; panelled pedestals with rosettes. 1st floor to
West George Street: coupled Corinthian columns framing
roundheaded windows in sculpted cavetto recesses. Venetian
windows to West Nile Street and 1st 3 bays from S on Nelson
Mandela Place flanked by single Corinthian columns;
shell-headed niches in outer bays. Richly sculpted eaves
frieze, dentil band, modillion cornice; balustraded parapet.
N remaining bay simplified on upper floors. Entrance at No 62
West George Street repeating detail of No 68; blind window
above; 1st floor semi-engaged colonnade stops at 3rd bay from
S on St George's Place.
INTERIOR: Genoese staircase with cast-iron balustrade, carved
handrail. Coved, columned library at 1st with original
fittings and furniture.
Library extension T Harold Hughes 1940.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.