Sir R Rowand Anderson, 1883-8, chancel lengthened 1906 and dedicated in 1908. Early pointed, cruciform plan. Foundations for projected steeple, still unbuilt, to W.
S elevation: 'west' door, 3 pointed arches, moulded archivolts on nook shafts with bell capitals. Central door with wrought-iron hinges; flanking arches each contain 2 arched windows, trumeau and vesica in tympanum. Broad ashlar band above, intended to hold bas-relief sculpture, never fitted. 3 tall lancets with continuous hoodmould and 2 blind trefoils. Small pointed window and 2 trefoils in apex of gable. Cross finial. Angle buttresses.
E elevation: 6 bay buttressed nave with lancets over blank projections for aisles with Norman doors at S. Twin gabled baptistery at N with 2 rose windows, pinnacled buttresses and 6 small blocked lancets. Chancel extended beyond baptistery 1906.
N elevation: large Rose window over 3 lancets flanked by 2 clasping pinnacled turret buttresses, fleur de lis finials. Basement windows light Church offices etc. W elevation similar to E but with small arched entrance in front of twin gabled transept.
Brick wall where porch was intended to link with unbuilt tower. Tall gabled plate traceried window lights stair to transept gallery. Lower Steven Chapel with 8 lancets and wallhead stack at W and 3-light trefoil window to N. Slate roofs.
Interior: very ecclesiological. Tall wide nave with wooden roof on engaged clustered columns with bell capitals. Clerestory lancets and blind tracery linked by continuous hood mould. Walls red brick with grey ashlar bands. Narrow aisles. Small galleries at rear and over transept. Significant collection of early Christian monuments.
Chancel: encaustic tiled floors and wrought-iron gates. 1906 blind arcade with stiff-leafed capitals, carved spandrels below band of foliated carving. 3 lancets in blind arcade and large rose window. Traceried altar frontal.
Small Steven Chapel: 3 cusped lancets by altar, and 6 windows at side. Wooden roof.
Excellent stained glass by C E Kempe (London) over altar, S and E walls transept and side gallery. Glass in Steven Chapel by Clayton and Bell and in Baptistery by Shrigley and Hunt.
A notable series of sepulchral monuments including hogbacked tombstones, cross-shafts, upright crosses, recumbent slabs and sarcophagus.
Statement of Special Interest
An outstanding Church by the celebrated architect Rowand Anderson and now with an exceptional collection of early Christian monuments, most of which were transferred from the surrounding graveyard (see separate listing) in 1926. See 'Buildings of Scotland ' Glasgow' for a fuller account of the monuments.
The 6th church on the site, whose parish covered what was to become half of Glasgow.
This church is unusually ecclesiological because Rev Dr John Macleod was a pioneer of Scots-Catholicism. The orientation is N-S because its foundations are on the 1826 church moved to Golspie Street, itself on the site of a Celtic church.
The design is inspired by Italian Fransiscan basilicas and the Pluscardine Priory, Elgin.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.