Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970
  • Supplementary Information Updated: 13/05/1993


  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 56877 62997
  • Coordinates256877, 662997


H E Clifford, 1888-90 (1890 datestone) with additions and alterations by Thomas Somers, Office of Public Works, 1935. Elaborate Scots renaissance composition with burgh hall, park gate and lodge all included. All built of rock-faced red ashlar with sculptured detailing including dormer heads, polished dressings, slated and red-tiled roofs.

HALL set in wooded garden, open to road; composed with dummy tower house at right (N), projecting low range to front with entrance right in gabled open porch with sculptured tympanum, oriel towards left derived from Earl's Palace, Kirkwall; gabled hall extreme left with long flank to driveway, windows with blocked arches, axial ventilator; some leaded glass.

LODGE opposite park driveway, L-plan, tall 2-storey, shallow gables, roll-moulding, curved roof over low projetion in park; square GATEPIERS have pulvinated bands, pryamidal finials, screen walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Ornament includes masonic symbolism; Lodge 772 met in the lower hall. Upgraded B to A 13.5.93.



BA April 21 1893. Dean of Guild 1935/257 for alterations by Somers. Petition dated 14 June 1935, completed 6 December 1935. Additional information courtesy of Iain Paterson, City of Glasgow District Council.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 25/05/2016 17:52