Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

99 ABERCROMBY STREET, ST MARY'S RC CHURCHReference: LB33810

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 16/03/1993
  • Supplementary Information Updated: 16/06/1997

Location

  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 60700 64541
  • Coordinates260700, 664541

Description

Goldie and Child of London, 1841-2. RC church, said to be the biggest in Scotland (presumably when first built) after St Andrew's Cathedral. Rectangular-plan and classical; pedimented 2-storey gabled front to street is channelled, probably all ashlar originally but now with rendered vertical panels; shallow porch; sculptured pair winged figures in tympanum; square apex bellcote; deep entablature returns over rubble-built flank to Forbes Street and series tall narrow lights and porch. Slate roof.

Interior is very elaborate if much altered from original, gallery to 3 sides, 2 tiers cast-iron columns with upper arcade supporting roof (original ceiling collapsed in 1865); altar wall remodelled in 1870s, sanctuary refitted 1892.

Enclosed by iron railing on low ashlar walls; plain square gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Upgraded to Category A 16 June 1997.

References

Bibliography

Williamson et al GLASGOW, 1990, p453.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 27/05/2016 21:03