Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

176 DUKE STREET, KIRKHAVENReference: LB33899

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 15/12/1970

Location

  • Local Authority: Glasgow
  • Planning Authority: Glasgow
  • Burgh: Glasgow

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 60527 65091
  • Coordinates260527, 665091

Description

Peddie and Kinnear of Edinburgh, 1857-8, as Sydney Place UP Church; in the neo-Greek style favoured by the UPs. Classical Temple, portico to Duke Street, with pair giant Corinthian columns in antis, giant clasping pilasters at either side, huge central doorway recessed behind with disc architrave, sculptured frieze and tympanum, antefixae; deep entablature continued to 2-storey flanks. Polished ashlar, architraved windows; slate roof. Rich galleried interior.

Converted to a day centre 1975. Low hall at left, severe neo-Greek. Iron railed enclosure.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use. Latterly Trinity-Duke Street Church.

References

Bibliography

Builder, December 24th 1858;

Small, p41;

Aikman;

GLASGOW AT A GLANCE, p54;

Gomme and Walker, p311.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 24/05/2016 10:54