Robert Lugar, architect; 1822. Built for John Cunningham of
Lainshaw, Ayr. 2-storey and attic house with principal rooms
in square plan block to E with angle turrets. Much lower
L-shaped service wing to W. The house survives largely intact
the only major external alteration is the removal of S front
porch replaced circa 1960 by granite, timber and glass
conservatory. Porch re-erected to N front to form new main
entrance into old service quarters.
Rock-faced granite with polished inner faces to window
MAIN BLOCK: square plan with 3-storey ogee roofed square
turrets to angles.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay with boldly advanced gabled centre bay.
Modern projecting conservatory; granite base, timber and
glass with slate roof. Above, canted corbelled oriel with
gable over. Conservatory flanked by tripartites at ground,
single light above.
E ELEVATION: 2 asymmetrical gabled bays. That to left shallow
advanced with tripartite to ground, single light above. To
right, 2 single lights to ground, corbelled oriel above
(Lugar's drawing shows ornamental parapet to oriel never
N ELEVATION: 3-bay with centre bay recessed, outer bays
gabled, that to right with tripartite to ground, otherwise
all single tight windows, those to right 1st with replaced
Angle turrets with lead ogee roofs, slit windows with diamond
T-plan service wing lower 2-storey with pedimented dormers,
W wing taller and gabled.
To S 5-bay elevation with circa 1919 single-storey extension
to inner 3 bays; bipartites flanking tripartite, deep plain
parapet, flat roof.
Variety of glazing patterns throughout house. Original design
mullioned and transomed with 2, 4 or 6-pane glazing, some
12-pane or 4-pane sash and case. Servants wing with mullioned
and transomed windows with diamond-pane glazing, some with
lower portions of plate glass. Slate roofs, tall individual
granite stacks often in groups of 3 or 4 give distinctive
INTERIOR: largely unaltered. Gothic hallway with 4-centre
rib-vaulted ceiling. Doors, shutters, cornices etc mostly
original to Lugar.