Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BANK STREET FREE NORTH CHURCHReference: LB35151

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 21/05/1971

Location

  • Local Authority: Highland
  • Planning Authority: Highland
  • Burgh: Inverness

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNH 66466 45429
  • Coordinates266466, 845429

Description

Ross & Macbeth, 1889-92. Decorated; coursers with ashlar

dressings. Gable front to Bank Street; gable contains porch

with large Decorated window above; at right, 2-storey stair

tower with canted bay front to Bank Street; at left tower

and spire, tower of 4 stages with octagonal pinnacled

buttresses at angles octagonal spire. 6-bay flanks,

buttressed.

Statement of Special Interest

The original church of the Free North congregation was in

North Church Place. Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

References

Bibliography

ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH ed. Ewing, 209; INVERNESS COURIER

Jun 6, 1890; Alexander Mackenzie, GUIDE TO INVERNESS (1903),

46; William Glashan, 'Old Houses and Churches', "THE HUB OF

THE HIGHLANDS" 173 ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, ed.

Groome (1901) and information courtesy of Buildings of

Scotland Research Unit.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/05/2016 19:19