Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 21/05/1971


  • Local Authority: Highland
  • Planning Authority: Highland
  • Burgh: Inverness

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNH 66680 45186
  • Coordinates266680, 845186


Matthews & Lawrie, 1878-82. Flemish-Baronial, Overwood

sandstone ashlar. 2 tall storeys and attic. 7-bay front.

Centre advanced, at ground floor arched entrance in gableted

porch, at 1st floor bipartite mullioned and transomed

window with trefoil heads to lights set in squareheaded

recess and surmounted by carved arms of Burgh of Inverness,

at attic, gablet containing bipartite window with arched

lights, set between angle finials surmounted by heraldic

beasts and flanked by circular angle turrets with tall

conical fishscale slated roofs. Outer windows, bipartite

mullioned and transomed with trefoil-headed lights at ground

floor, bipartite mullioned and transomed with arched lights

set in continuous arched hoodmoulds at 1st floor. Circular angle bartizans with octagonal caphouses with tall octagonal fishscale

slated roofs. Pierced parapet. Spirelet in centre, now truncated.

In W gable, panel containing burgh arms of 1686, in E

gable, panel containing arms of Charles II, both removed

from Old Bridge of Inverness Notable interior;

groin-vaulted vestibule leading to staircase lit by stained

glass windows (by Adam & Small, Glasgow); public hall with

panelled and painted ceiling and stained glass windows;

Council Chamber enlarged, John Hinton Gall, 1894, with

panelled ceiling; stained glass commemorative of Diamond

Jubilee, designed by J H Stewart, executed by William Meikle

& Son, Glasgow; 1898. Extension to south, James R Rhind,

1904, following style of original. Front to Castle Street,

3 storeys, 7 bays with shops at ground floor; change of

building line at join of extension to old work masked by

turret corbelled out from wall. Slated roofs. Ornate

cast-iron lamp standards flanking entrance.

Statement of Special Interest

The replacement of the previous Town House of 1708 on the

same site originated in a bequest of $6,000 for a public hall

from Mr Grant of Bught. The architects were appointed in

1876 after competition. The Commission for the extension of

1904 was awarded after competition.



ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, ed. Groome (1883): Mackenzie,


1904 and June 10 1904; and Information Courtesy of Buildings

of Scotland Research Unit.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 01/06/2016 02:40