Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 08/11/1974


  • Local Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Planning Authority: Shetland Islands
  • Burgh: Lerwick

National Grid Reference

  • NGRHU 47895 41124
  • Coordinates447895, 1141124


Alexander Ellis of Aberdeen, 1862-4, tower added by him in 1891-2, alterations to chancel by Alexander Ross, 1899. Gothic church comprising 3-bay gabled nave, oriented N-S, with single bay gabled chancel projecting to N, and 3-stage square plan tower at SW corner. Stugged rubble walls to nave and chancel, stugged ashlar tower, stugged and droved dressings.

TOWER: vestry projecting at lower stage to S and E; mullioned tripartite window centring S elevation with gablet breaking eaves above; paired windows flanking centre of tower wall above; curved E vestry wall connecting to entrance porch at right; gabled single storey stair tower in re-entrant to N. Slit windows in 2nd stage with angle buttresses, string courses above. Paired pointed-arched openings to belfry with string course at springer level, crenellated parapet corbelled out at eaves, stone spouts at corners. Crowstepped gables to cap-house roof with bracketted skewputts and crosslet arrowslit in N gablehead.

NAVE: gabled entrance porch centring S elevation at ground; pointed-arched vertically-boarded timber door with pointed-arched window in side; circular plate-traceried wheel window centred in gablehead above. 3-bay nave elevation with pointed-arched windows in each bay except for bay to outer left and right of W and E elevation respectively containing paired bipartite pointed-arched windows.

CHANCEL: tall and narrow, gabled, with traceried pointed-arched window (inserted by Ross 1899) in W elevation, organ chamber with mullioned bipartite window centred in gable, projecting from E elevation; wheel window in N chancel gable, matching that in S gable.

Leaded window to entrance porch. Stained glass of 1864 depicting crucifixion in N wheel window (dial pattern), floreate design to S window; W chancel window by Clayton & Bell 1899, leaded diamond-pane side windows to nave with coloured border glazing; some stained glass windows by Sir Ninian Comper circa 1900 depicting figures. Grey slate roofs with cast-iron gutters and downpipes with decorative hoppers to nave, chancel and tower. Ashlar skew copes with carved stone crosses at apexes.

INTERIOR: 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber inner entrance doors. Timber floor, pews and wainscoting to nave. Open timber roofs; scissor trusses to nave, kingposts bearing on stone corbels in chancel. Octagonal timber pulpit on painted stone base. Pointed-arched chancel arch; pink granite colonettes with floreate capitals on heavy corbels supporting inner arch. Stencilled decoration around N window. Pointed-arched opening to organ chamber in E wall, arcaded sedilia and credence niche to left. Sacrament house in W wall; vertically-boarded timber door with decorative cast-iron hinges and escutcheon, fronted by stone shelf. Stone sanctuary steps, coloured tiled floor, altar supported on 3 ashlar columns.

RECTORY: symmetrical; single storey and attic, gabled house. Rubble walls with stugged and droved dressings. Principal elevation to N comprising central 4-pane timber door with 2-pane fanlight above, 3-light single storey corniced canted windows in flanking bays with 4-pane timber sash and case windows and plate glass sidelights. Grey modern tile roof; piend-roofed slate-hung canted timber dormers, 4-pane timber sash and case windows with plate glass sidelights. Multi-flue apex stacks with ashlar copes and octagonal cans. Piend-roofed single storey service wing to W.

BOUNDARY WALL: random rubble boundary wall to W.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building, in use as such. Ellis was responsible for the original design and adding the tower, the detailing showing some influence of the Art Nouveau style. Stained glass windows by Sir Ninian Comper were moved here by Joseph Bell & Son in 1973 from the former House of Charity in Knab Road. A photograph by George Washington Wilson shows its appearance before addition of the tower.



Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p24. NMRS Ref: SHO/93/9. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p488 and 493. NMRS Ref: SHO/93/1 and 9. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) plates 13, 16 and 19.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 28/05/2016 12:45