H J Blanc, architect, 1894. Cruciform with central
tower, nave and aisles, raised on undercroft. 1st and 2nd
pointed Gothic. Snecked rubble with ashlar dressing. South
front approached by broad flight of steps; gabled entrances
to undercroft at side of steps. 3 gabled porches, recessed
entrances with nook shafts and cusped bands to the doors,
paired to centre with carved tympanum Large 5-light traceried
windows and triple lancet above in south gable, flanked by
octagonal turrets. 5-bay nave and 2-bay transepts; 4-light
traceried windows to clerestory in each bay, separated
by flying buttresses. Transept gables have 5 light windows
as south front with 3 lancets below and small flanking
turrets. Various vestries and offices disposed symmetrically
around chancel. 3 lancets in north end. Slate roof. 3
stage central tower suoorting open crown: 1st blind; 2nd
buttressed to east and west with groups of 3 lancets;
3rd stage has 2 2-light belfry openings to each face. Angle pinnacles. Interior: nave with clustered piers supporting pointed
arches and clerestory Wooden coupled roofs to nave and
transepts, stencilled. Crossing and chancel stone-vaulted
with painted panels. Carving to capitals, spandrels, etc.
Furnishings: high-relief alabaster panels under north
window: marble pulpit with alabaster reliefs, designed
by Blanc, 1906. Deep marble font, behind Communion Table.
Brass and pewter lectern. All original light fittings.
Ancillary rooms round the ambulatory have stencilled walls
and elaborate oak fireplaces. Undercroft halls modernised.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.