Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

CARDROSS, STATION ROAD, PARISH CHURCH WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERSReference: LB42917

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 23/02/1996

Location

  • Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Parish: Cardross

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNS 34461 77539
  • Coordinates234461, 677539

Description

John Burnet Senior, 1871-72. L-plan Gothic church with entrance tower. Squared and snecked rubble with harl pointing, later cement pointing, ashlar margins and dressings. Battered base course, eaves cornice; sturdy buttresses with sawtooth coped offsets. Hoodmoulds, labelstops; reticulated traceried windows; ogee-arched windows

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad gable with sturdy diagonal buttresses;

3 small 2-light ogee-arched windows at ground; large pointed-arched window above, hoodmould with angel-head labelstops; disc finial at apex. TOWER: 3-stage entrance tower with belfry, recessed in re-entrant angle to left. String courses dividing stages. Deeply moulded pointed-arch door at ground, hoodmould, mask labelstops (badly weathered), boarded door with decorative cast iron hinges; 3 narrow lancets above. Trefoil-headed lancet on left return. 3 narrow stepped stair windows above. Clock at 2nd stage; paired round-arched, trefoil- headed, louvered openings at belfry stage, hoodmoulds springing from sculpted beast at centre, terminating in mask labelstops. Stone pyramidal crocketted spire carried on stylised corbel course; small trefoil-headed lucarnes; Celtic cross finial.

SW ELEVATION: 5-bay nave divided by buttresses at left; tower in penultimate bay to right (see above). Gable breaking eaves at outer left bay, large plate-traceried rose window (added 1878), hoodmould with angel-head labelstops; 2 small ogee lancets below. Diminutive bust in disc finial (possibly donor James Burns of Kilmahew). 2 bays flanking with pair of 2-light lancets; tower in penultimate bay to right, narrow outer right bay with small 2-light window.

NE ELEVATION: nave with rectangular-plan gabled vestry aligned NW-SE at outer right. VESTRY: gabled battered porch, pointed arch door, 2-leaf panelled wooden door; flanking narrow trefoil-headed lancet leaded windows; small cusped wheel window above, narrow light in gablehead. Paired lancets on right return. Nave articulated with paired trefoil- headed lancets on right return.

NW ELEVATION: broad gable with stepped 5-light window, gablehead stack with serrated head. Lean-to boiler house and half-piend-roofed block to outer right.

INTERIOR: renovated in 1899; hall church with later balcony at SW; pine pews; modern altar table and pulpit; tripartite altarpiece with embroidery panels by Hannah Frew Paterson installed 1981. Oak hammerbeam roof supported on slender colonnettes, angel capitals. Later 19th century marble memorials to James Burns, McDougall. Silk Hangings by Sarah Sumsion. Plate glass etched nave windows at NE by John Lawrie in memory of Elizabeth C Hendry of Geilston House. Stained glass windows by Sadie McLellan, installed 1970. The stained glass windows are by W & J Keir Glasgow. In 1878 the medallion W window was inserted. The organ was installed in 1898. The church bells are by Wilson of Glasgow, dated 1871.

Stained and leaded windows. Grey slate roof with lead flashings; small ridge ventilators. Ashlar coping to skews, disc finials.

BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATES: broad gate and pedestrian gate. Sturdy, square-plan pier with battered base course; chamfered to octagonal pier, conical cap. Coped square pier to right, battered base, inset patera panel; identical pier to right of pedestrian gate. Decorative cast-iron gates. Rubble wall with harl pointing; ashlar saddleback coping.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church, the gift of James Burns of Kilmahew, was built as the Free Church and became the parish church in the early 1950s following the destruction of the parish church in WW2. The old parish church is listed separately.

References

Bibliography

F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), pp59-60. Arthur F Jones CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p27. Eunice G Murray THE CHURCH OF CARDROSS AND ITS MINISTERS (1935). SKETCHES OF CHURCHES AND CLERGY IN THE PARISHES OF ROW, ROSNEATH AND CARDROSS (1889), pp189-192.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.

Images

Sorry, there are no images available for this record.

Map

Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 01/06/2016 04:32