T L Bruce, 1909-11. 7 x 1-bay gabled church hall with 3-stage square plan tower at SW corner, and modern 2-storey addition obscuring E gable. Bull-faced squared and snecked principal elevation and tower with stugged and polished dressings and details; harled side elevations with cement dressings.
TOWER: base course, battered angle buttresses at 1st stage, cornices over 1st and 2nd stages, each with round-arched windows to S and W faces. 3rd stage; each face with blind roundel below string course; tall bipartite windows with round-arched lights; cornice and crenellated parapet above
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gable end of hall with base course; round-arched vertically-boarded 2-leaf timber entrance door with moulded surround at centre; segmental-arched 4-light window with cavetto-moulded cill and hoodmould over.
N ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation; tall round-arched windows with long and short dressings in each bay.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay elevation with round-arched windows with long and short dressing in each bay to right of tower.
Leaded stained glass W window; modern glazing elsewhere except for 4-pane fixed-lights to upper stage of tower. Purple-grey slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Matching ridge tiles to dormered timber ventilators, slated, with louvered gables. Crowstepped gables with Celtic crosses at apexes.
PEDESTALS, STEPS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: panelled square ashlar pedestals (lamp standards now gone) with rustic bases and moulded caps flanking entrance door. Concrete covered steps to door from stugged and droved square ashlar entrance gatepiers with bases and pyramidal caps; flanking bull-faced dwarf wall with ashlar cope, terminated to N and S by matching piers. Random rubble wall boundary wall with saddleback cope to S, modern wall to N.
INTERIOR: vertically-boarded timber wainscoting to hall; round-arched niche centring E wall with flanking 4-panel timber doors. Open timber roof with trusses bearing on stone corbels.
Statement of Special Interest
The Woman?s Guild initiated a scheme for the erection of a building that would serve the dual purpose of providing Lerwick Parish Church with a church hall of its own, and providing separate accommodation for the Dutch and other foreign fishermen. T L Bruce produced the design and Peter Thomson was appointed contractor with a tender of ?1615. The work was completed in 1911 and the Rev A J Campbell performed the opening ceremony. The Dutchmen made regular use of the building, and a stained glass window was presented by the Dutch Reformed Churches from fishing communities in the Netherlands. By 1966, with St Olaf?s in use as a hall too, St Clement?s was finally sold to Lerwick Town Council for recreational use. An old photograph of the W elevation shows 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber entrance doors flanked by cast-iron lamp standards (on the existing stone plinths) with globe lanterns, and simple cast-iron railings with widely-spaced ball-finialled stanchions and 2-leaf cast-iron gates. Another view shows a single storey crowstepped building along the E elevation. The tower of this hall is a distinctive landmark in this part of the town.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.