Dated 1837, recast in 1929. 2-storey, 3-bay near-symmetrical classical villa of L-plan with single storey wing in re-entrant and single storey porches projecting to N and E. Harled walls with cement-rendered and lined dressings and details. Long and short quoins at windows and corners, projecting cills at windows.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting entrance porch centred at ground comprising central 6-panel timber door with 4-pane fanlight, tall windows in flanking bays divided by stop-chamfered square columns with capitals and bases; bipartite windows in side elevations with stop-chamfered arrises; plain cornice and balustraded parapet around eaves. French window with 2-pane glazed upper and 8-pane fanlight centred over porch, 2-storey 4-light bay window with string and cill courses and crenellated parapet in bay to left. Bipartite window at ground in bay to right, Wyatt window offset to left at 1st floor. Wide corniced pediment with datestone in tympanum bearing inscription: "J G 1837 RECONSTRUCTED R D G 1929".
S ELEVATION: 2-bay end elevation of principal range advanced at right, windows at ground and 1st floors in bay at left, rear wing recessed at left, single storey flat-roofed wing in re-entrant angle with window to left of centre at 1st floor.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay part of rear elevation of principal range recessed to right with tall 8-pane stair window adjacent to re-entrant angle, window; rear wing elevation advanced at left with window at ground to right of centre and Wyatt window centred at 1st floor; single bay wing elevations flanking.
N ELEVATION: windows roughly centred at ground and 1st floors, single storey porch with vertically-boarded timber door with 3-pane fanlight and pair of windows in side elevations.
Timber sash and case windows with multi-pane upper sashes and 2-pane lower sashes. 8-pane fixed-light stair window with coloured border glazing. Purple-grey slate piended roof with terracotta ridge terminals and profiled cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Stugged ashlar wallhead stacks centring end elevations of principal range, additional wallhead stack adjacent to re-entrant angle, all coped with octagonal cans. Single-flue harled stack with circular can at corner of N porch.
INTERIOR: many fittings from 1929 refit surviving; timber stair with herringbone pattern soffit, upper flight oversailing with balustrades on both sides in nautical form.
BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble garden and terrace walls with flagged paths and stone steps. Stugged sandstone piers with pyramidal caps centring E wall.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.