Dated 1907. 2-storey, half-timbered Parish Council Chambers and Registrar's Office. Stugged ashlar blocks of varying size, harl with timber lattice, and ashlar dressings. Roll-moulded doorcase; stone transoms and mullions.
ENTRANCE ELEVATION: half-round stone porch angled in bay to right of centre with deep-set timber door and window to left, large carved panel worded '1907 PARISH COUNCIL CHAMBERS' breaking stone balustrade and surmounted by segmental pediment. Gabled bay behind with small bipartite window to outer right at ground and further window to centre above. Lower, swept-roof hall to left of centre, with 2 4-light transomed window.
SIDE ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with full-height dominant shouldered stack incorporating ground floor window in bay to left of centre, further window to outer left at 1st floor. Centre by with door (accessed by wheelchair ramp) and 2 adjacent windows to left, and tripartite window to 1st floor. Slightly advanced, full-height canted and gabled bay to outer right with tripartite window to each floor.
SIDE ELEVATION: broad gable to centre with door below tripartite window in canted bay to right, and window to left at 1st floor; narrow link bay to right with window to ground and small bipartite window above, gabled bay of hall projecting to outer right.
REAR ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with variety of elements including 2 chimney breasts breaking eaves, and single storey piend-roofed wing.
Small-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows except to W. Grey slates. Ashlar stacks with cans; plain bargeboarding with deeply overhanging eaves and cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: some decorative plasterwork; large fireplace in small hall and timber panelling to ground floor.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.