William Burn, dated 1831; rear wing rebuilt 1860s, and 1963 (see Notes). 2-storey, 4-bay Scots-Jacobean house. Squared rubble with stugged quoins, raised quoin strips and margins. Extension squared rubble and harl. String course. Pointed-arch, deeply moulded doorpiece with hoodmould. Stone mullions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting curvilinear gable to centre with 2-leaf panelled timber door at ground, bipartite window above and dated armorial panel in gablehead; window to each floor in bay to right of centre and in 2 bays to left.
N ELEVATION: 2 windows (grouped to centre and right) to each floor with broad stack breaking eaves as gablehead above, gabled return to right with single window to each floor and in gablehead with unobtrusive metal fire escape. Harled face of later wing recessed to right with single storey offices projecting at outer right.
S ELEVATION: projecting curvilinear-gabled bay to outer right with full-height crenellated canted 4-light window, shield panel in gablehead. Later recessed bays to left with 2 full-height crenellated and canted windows as above (but 3-light) flanking single window bay and further window to each floor of outer left bay; 2 round-headed dormers in copper finish centre to crenelated canted bays (2000).
W ELEVATION: later wing with bipartite window to each floor of tall gabled bay to right, centre bay with window and door beyond to left below slated porch and 2 further small windows at 1st floor, lower bay beyond to left with fixed window panel set into masonry surround with gothic (pointed arch) head and original piended rubble office wing projecting at outer left with 3 timber doors.
8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans, and ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000, but with panelled timber shutters and carved timber fireplace with green marble cheeks.
WALLED GARDEN WITH ANCILLARY BUILDING AND GATE: walled garden to NE with high coped rubble walls and gabled ancillary building, and low flat-coped walls with decorative ironwork gate.
Statement of Special Interest
David Walker refers indirectly to Urrard through a quotation by Lord Cockburn, who rather dismissively refers to a group of 'cottage houses', 'Urrard, Killiecrankie Cottage, Strathgarry and Lude, together with Fascally' (sic). Urrard is built near the site of the Battle of Killiecrankie (1689) after which a nearby Pictish stone was dubbed the 'Claverhouse Stone' to mark the valiant death of Graham of Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee. Sales details issued by Finlayson Hughes in 1988 date the original Urrard House as 1681, with the "present front having been added in 1831 by William Burn". They also add that the older part of the house was demolished in the 1860s and replaced with Victorian 'back quarters' which were subsequently rebuilt after a fire in 1963.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.