Dated 1926; sympathetically altered 2001. Single storey and attic with raised basement to N, 4-bay gabled villa with Arts and Crafts references, steeply-pitched swept roofs and exceptional interior with outstanding retention of figurative coloured glass. Harled with cement dressings. Jettied gables with arrowslits; mock half-timbering; stone mullions.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 dominant gabled bays to right, that to centre broader and slightly set-back with steps up to full-width tiled canopy on polygonal outer columns, set-back 2-leaf timber door to left and large irregular tripartite window to right; small horizontally-aligned tripartite above in gablehead.
Flanking gables each with flat-roofed canted window and further set-back bay with bipartite window to outer left.
N (GARDEN) ELEVATION: reducing semicircular steps (with flanking small bipartites and sundial on moulded panel dated '1927' to outer right) to right of largely blank raised basement lead to broad terrace, swept-roof over broad French window at centre and horizontal eyelid dormer above. Irregular flanking gables, that to left tall and half-timbered with canted window at ground and recessed French window above, that to right low with bipartite window. Further gable to left with bipartite below square window in gablehead and lower bays to service wing at outer left.
W ELEVATION: gabled elevation with canted 6-light window under polygonal roof flanked by diminutive later (2001) square windows.
E ELEVATION: bay to centre with timber door, tooled panel with date '1926' over tiny shield carved 'JSD' in gabletted wallhead stack breaking eaves at left; pitch-roofed wing projecting at right with timber door to right and small bipartite to left, ancillary (see below) abutting at outer right.
Largely leaded multi-pane glazing in casement windows; coloured glass see Interior. Rosemary tiles with terracotta finials. Ashlar-coped harled stacks with full-complement of cans. Swept overhanging eaves; moulded skews and skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: exceptionally fine decorative scheme in place including decorative plasterwork cornicing, architraved doors some with coloured glass panels, and timber fire surrounds some with overmantels and original-tiled slips. Panelled stairhall with winding timber staircase;
ingleneuk fireplace with panelled overmantel and coloured glass panels; attic study with decoratively-astragalled glazing to display cupboards. 2 bathrooms, each with original fittings and fine ceramic tiles, 1 with panels depicting exotic birds (see Notes) and 1 with borders incorporating picture tiles including Dutch figures and boats.
COLOURED GLASS: much fine coloured glass throughout, including stairhall with coloured margins and heraldic devices; sun room with variety of butterflies and Mackintosh style flowers; attic bedroom (over main door) with diminutive Dutch girl figures and tiny panels with harbour lights; roundels with birds and ships; interior panels with castle and windmill.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: rectangular-plan harled ancillary with battered buttress-style angles supporting Voyseyesque overhanging swept eaves. Part-glazed boarded 2-leaf timber door
under tiled canopy and jettied gablehead with arrowslit to S; horizontally-aligned leaded multi-pane tripartite window to E; decorative cast-iron weathervane to roofridge. Interior walls lined with glazed, decoratively-margined ceramic tiles.
TERRACE WALLS AND GATEPIERS: flat-coped rubble terrace walls. Square-section red brick gatepiers with cement bases and capped by obelisk finials on ball feet.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.