Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Invereck is a small Baronial country house of the late 19th century by James Thomson, situated at the mouth of Glen Massan. The house is an example of the work of Thomson, a good example of a later Baronial house with such prominent features as a large tower, and the interior is of exceptional quality.
The house, of squared rubble is 2-3 storey, consisting of a 4-bay front block with an off-centred battlemented porte-cochère with a crow-stepped gable above. To the NE is a prominent 3-stage square-plan tower, with a two-storey canted bay and 4 bartizan turrets. To the SW is a long crowstepped extension of c.1950.
Details: there was a cottage on the site of Invereck in the mid 19th century, described by the Ordnance Survey as 'small but handsome' and located in roughly the same location as the present house. The cottage and grounds were sold in 1872 to George Miller. The date of foundation of the present house is unclear, but it is thought that it may have been around 1876. However, the most reliable date is the '1886' on the main tower to the side. The house combines a rectangular-plan 4-bay front block, with a prominent advanced crowstepped gable and a porte-cochère with round-arched openings. On the upper floor are dormers with unusual scrolled pediments. On the ground floor the main dining room faces the SE, with mullioned and transomed windows. On the return (NE) elevation the front block has a large canted bay in the ground floor. To the right of this is a small 2-storey link block with a NW facing verandah, opening from a second reception room, above which is a balustraded balcony. On the N corner rises the 3-stage tower, with a prominent canted 2-storey bay. To the rear, the enormous stair window has its own gabled bay, with low 4-storey service accommodation to the W. On the OS map of c1898 there is a large conservatory in the SW corner (since demolished).
There have been considerable alterations to the building over the years, particularly when the house was altered and extended to form a home for the elderly. During the 20th century (c1950) the conservatory was removed and a large and prominent 2-storey extension added. The crowsteps and raised long and short quoins pay some respect to the Baronial style of the main house. A large fire escape was also added to the rear.
Interior: the interior of Invereck contains a numbers of features of quality, despite some later additions and subdivisions. The entrance, through timber double doors in a timber entrance screen of fluted pilasters and pedimented side-lights opens into the entrance hall, with a geometrically-panelled plaster ceiling and marble columns with gilded capitals. To the right, the main reception room has a timber dado and decorative marble fireplace. A second room has oak panelling and an elaborately-carved timber fireplace. Further to the rear is an intact butler's pantry.
The imperial-plan main stair, with heavy turned balusters and gilt newel lamps, is lit by a large stained glass window, with a pedimented Minerva above figures of Music, Industry and Painting, thought to have been exhibited in the Paris Exhibition of 1889. The upstairs landing, originally a large open space but divided by fire doors, is lit by a painted glass dome. Throughout the house original joinery and plasterwork is intact.
Materials: squared rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Harled later extension of block/brick. Grey slate roofs. Tall, corniced stone stacks and clay cans. Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows.
Ancillary Structures: the older house at Invereck appears to have stood in quite formal grounds, probably due to the influence of William Jackson Hooker, the well-known botanist and keeper at Kew gardens who owned the house for a time. The gardens do not appear to have survived the rebuilding. Only the ruinous buildings to the NW of the house, at the former formal gardens survive. The more substantial piend-roofed L-shaped outbuildings on the Glenmassan road are later 19th century. The L-shaped piend-roofed lodge is in separate ownership. To the S a series of sheltered homes were built in the middle of the 20th century. The house is surrounded by a rubble boundary wall, with square-plan gatepiers.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support.