Later 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay simple Classical house now forming part of Scotus College, with single storey and attic former servants' wing adjoining to NW and later alterations and additions including modern conservatory to N linking to later 20th century building. Fine interior with quality timber work and notable public rooms. Squared and snecked sandstone. Base course, deep overhanging band. Deep modillioned eaves.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: shallow steps to single storey flat-roofed Doric-columned entrance portico with pierced parapet to re-entrant corner at SE. Canted bay windows, wide round bay-window to W with pierced parapets. Bipartite and tripartite window openings with stone mullions, some with hoodmoulds. Pierced balconies to some 1st storey windows. Pair of pedimented dormers to servants' wing.
Predominately plate glass timber sash and case windows; multi-pane to former servants' wing. Grey slates. Corniced gable, wallhead and ridge stacks with decorative hexagonal cans.
INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Original room plan largely extant. Fine carved decorative timberwork throughout, especially to ground floor. Glass and timber entrance screen flanked by timber panels and sidelights. Timber panelling to hall and dado height panelling to public rooms. Semi-enclosed open-well staircase with timber balusters and handrail and square-plan newels; circular opening overlooking hall. Large, intricately carved timber chimneypieces to hall, and public rooms; one to hall with barley sugar twist piers; one flanked by niches with decorative painted glass to rear; others with overmantels. Decorative plaster cornicing, ceiling roses and plasterwork. One decorative timber ceiling. Contrasting marble panelling to bathrooms. Deep-set, architraved timber doors, some 4-panelled, others with oval pattern in timber and coloured glass. Working timber shutters. Some simple, classical fire surrounds. Some simple stained glass.
ARCHWAY AND FORMER STABLE BLOCK: to N. Single storey and attic former stable block with attached single storey 2-bay cottage to W. Tooled, squared and snecked sandstone. Large openings with part-glazed boarded timber doors. Pedimented loft opening breaks eaves. Pair of small glazed and louvred round-arched attic window openings to E. Coped skews and skew-putts. Deep, modillioned eaves. Grey slates. Adjoining wall to SE with large, roll-moulded, round-arched opening and blank shield motifs.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: to E. Coped rubble. Lower curved sections with decorative iron railings at entrance. Pair of polygonal-plan gatepiers with base courses, string courses and decorative low polygonal capstones. Each with 'CHESTERS' inscription.
Statement of Special Interest
Now known as Scotus College, this late 19th century former private house is particularly notable for its excellent interior. There is much quality timberwork throughout the principal ground floor rooms, such as the intricately carved chimneypieces, timber panelling and fine staircase. It is a good surviving example of the type of opulent and ornate interior which was popular in the more affluent households of the mid to late Victorian period. The associated stable block is well constructed, using the same materials and stone treatment as the house. Its attached round-arched entrance screen is of interest and adds a sense of grandeur to the courtyard area.
The exact date of the house is not yet known, although records suggest that it was erected by a Robert Henderson in 1873. It was initially know as Ledcameroch West although the name had been changed to Chesters by 1880. The owners of the house in 1880 were James and Eliza Kennedy - James was a timber merchant. The house was gifted to the Royal College of Science and Technology in 1952 and was a residential management college until it was purchased by the Roman Catholic Diocese in 1984. It became the National Seminary for Scotland in 1993.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.