Circa 1870 with circa 1890 addition and 20th century additions and alterations. Single storey and attic, 3-bay gabled cottage with steeply-pitched roof, gabled porch, 2-storey addition to right and lower outshots to rear forming U-plan. Squared, snecked, stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course; fairly regular fenestration with projecting cills.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 2-leaf timber panelled front door with fanlight in pointed-arch doorway to central gabled porch; flanking windows. 1890s extension slightly advanced to right with canted window at ground and basket-arched stone-mullioned bipartite above; 2 basket-arched windows to side return. Gabled outshots to rear with fairly regular fenestration. Entrance porch and dormer to N (side) elevation. Large 20th century additions to rear incorporating fabric of original outbuildings at ground.
8-pane glazing in timber windows to original cottage (most 20th century replacements); plate glass in timber sash and case windows to 1890 extension. Corniced central ridge stack with clustered chimneys to original cottage; some plainer stacks to rear. Grey slate roof. Plain bargeboards.
INTERIOR: encaustic tiled floor to original entrance lobby. Good timber-panelled interior doors and shutters. House subdivided and floor plan altered.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group with Mugdock and Craigmaddie Reservoirs, Barrachan, Craigholm and North Lodge (also known as Craigmaddie Lodge).
A good, well-detailed cottage probably built for the reservoir superintendent and occupying a prominent position at the heart of the site. The cottage has historic importance as part of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works (see below) and makes a positive contribution to the Conservation Area around these important reservoirs.
Mugdock reservoir was opened in 1860 as part of the first phase of the Glasgow Corporation Water Works that brought water down from Loch Katrine. Craigmaddie reservoir, which is immediately adjacent (though entirely separate) from Mugdock, opened in 1897 as part of the duplication scheme. By the 1870s the area around Mugdock reservoir had been landscaped for use as a public park, reflecting the pride the Water Board and general public took in this internationally-renowned engineering achievement. Within this area a number of residences were built to house the numerous employees who were responsible for the smooth-running of the system and maintenance of the grounds. The pride and care taken with the appearance of the site is evident in this quirky and well-detailed building.
Glasgow's Lord Provost, Robert Stewart (1810-66) was the driving force behind the implementation of a municipally-owned water scheme to provide clean water to Glasgow's rapidly increasing population. Loch Katrine was identified as a suitable supply and after some objections from various parties, an Act of Parliament authorising the scheme was passed in 1855. The scheme was built in two main phases following this Act and another of 1885. The 1855 scheme was opened by Queen Victoria in 1859 and was fully operational by 1860.
The Loch Katrine Water Works was admired internationally as an engineering marvel when it was opened in 1860. It was one of the most ambitious civil engineering schemes to have been undertaken in Europe since Antiquity, employing the most advanced surveying and construction techniques available, including the use of machine moulding and vertical casting technologies to produce the cast-iron pipes. The scheme represents the golden age of municipal activity in Scotland and not only provided Glasgow with fresh drinking water, thereby paving the way for a significant increase in hygiene and living standards, but also a source of hydraulic power that was indispensable to the growth of Glasgow's industry as a cheap and clean means of lifting and moving heavy plant in docks, shipyards and warehouses. The civic pride in this achievement is visible in every structure connected with the scheme, and this well-detailed cottage is one of many expressions of this.
Listed as part of the thematic review of Glasgow's water supply system (2008).
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.