Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

DALMENY VILLAGE, 20 MAIN STREET, DALMENY KIRK, ST CUTHBERT'S, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, INCLUDING CHURCHYARDReference: LB5570

Status: Designated

Documents

Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Group Category Details: B - B
  • Date Added: 22/02/1971
  • Last Date Amended: 30/01/1981

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNT 14448 77503
  • Coordinates314448, 677503

Description

Early 12th century, with 17th century additions and alterations; tower (incorporating earlier work) by Alfred Greig, 1937. Romanesque church comprising 3-bay nave with 3-stage square plan tower to W, single storey chancel and stilted apse stepping down to E, and Rosebery aisle projecting to N forming T-plan. Squared and droved sandstone ashlar walls with stugged and polished dressings and details. Base course, string course, corbelled eaves course to chancel and apse.

TOWER: 3-stage, with angle buttress. Base course, with string course dividing stages. Blank stage at base, round-arched windows at 2nd stage, round arched arrowslits at third stage. Arrow slits on angle buttress.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: elevation slightly advanced between centre and left bays; studded timber round-arched door flanked by double order of engaged Romanesque columns, arch-head enclosed by elaborately carved voussoirs, inner row with carvings of zodiacal and bestiary figures, outer row with projecting grotesque heads and Agnus Dei; blind intersecting arcade with paired columns and scalloped capitals, carved corbels at eaves. Window over string course in each bay comprising round-arched window with flanking nook-shafts and carved voussoirs to arch-heads. Raggle of former addition evident on lower chancel to right. Apse to outer right (see E elevation).

N ELEVATION: doorway on N end of 1671 Rosebery Aisle comprising round arch with chevrons, supporting cornice, double order of engaged Romanesque columns with scalloped capitals; 2-leaf studded and panelled door with matching timber infill to arch head. 20th century lean-to addition to left, near re-entrant angle. Raggle of former addition on lower chancel to left. Round-arched doorway near re-entrant angle to W, with window aligned above. Carved armorial panel to left, bearing Primrose arms, with window aligned above. Apse to outer left (see below).

E ELEVATION: lower symmetrical, semicircular-ended apse. Round- arched windows with engaged colonettes and carved voussoirs to N, S and E. Grotesque heads to corbels.

INTERIOR: rib-vaulted roof. Romanesque arches with scalloped and chevroned capitals, human and grotesque heads to corbels. Acanthus pattern to abaci. Apse narrower than chancel, narrower in turn than nave. Medieval graveslabs in chancel and apse floor. Corbels, with human and grotesque heads. Various masons? marks. Timber pulpit, with evangelical beasts forming capitals, by H O Tarbolton, 1928. Stone font by Ian G Lindsay, 1950. Three stained glass lights in apse (Madonna and Child, St Margaret, St Theresa) by Lalia Dickson, 1942.

Variety of stained glass windows. Graded grey slate roof with stone ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Skews with bracket skewputts.

CHURCHYARD: variety of graves and monuments, including table-tops and gravestones. Partly enclosed by random rubble wall, with semicircular coping.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with 1-3 (inclusive) Easter Dalmeny Cottages, Gospatric House, 1-6 (inclusive) and 9-15 (inclusive) Dalmeny Village Main Street, Dalmeny Village Telephone Kiosk, Dalmeny Village War Memorial, 1-4 (inclusive) Wester Dalmeny Farm Cottages, Wester Dalmeny Farmhouse and Wester Dalmeny Steading (see separate listings).

The Rosebery aisle was built in 1671, rebuilt in the early 19th century, and restored in 1937. The W tower was built in 1937 on the foundations of the old tower, which had been demolished.

The churchyard has some very good examples of 17th and 18th century gravestones, including the supposed coffin of the church's builder, a huge structure with a head-cavity, and carved with winged beasts and religious figures. Some 18th century stones bear mason?s tools. The earliest noted gravestone is of 1678.

References

Bibliography

MacGregor Chalmers, Carter and Pratt, DALMENY KIRK (1904); RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN WEST LOTHIAN (1929); McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978); Scotland's Churches Scheme, CATHEDRALS, ABBEYS AND CHURCHES IN SCOTLAND (1996).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

Printed: 03/05/2016 19:19