Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/02/1972


  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Inveravon

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNJ 21723 25684
  • Coordinates321723, 825684


John Gall, Aberdeen, 1827-9, interior completed and

re-modelled by Bishop James Kyle, possibly with design

assistance from Rev Walter Lovi, 1843-4. Gothic Church;

orientated approximately E/W with entrance in gabled W front.

Tooled pink granite ashlar front and dressings, harl pointed

flanks and rear. Unusual plan incorporating priest's quarters

under the same roof.

3-bay W front delineated and flanked by stepped buttresses

terminating with pinnacles; coped and partially crenellated

wallhead. Centre pointed-headed recessed entrance with

(blank) datestone above; narrow flanking 2-light windows and

3-light above door, all with simple wooden tracery and

lattice-pane glazing.

3-bay flanks with windows as in W (at extreme E divided

vertically and half blind). Simple square-headed doorway in


E gable with similar fenestration as W with no buttresses and

small centre ground floor window.

Apex crosses; slate roof.

INTERIOR: simple entrance lobby with local flagstone floor.

Lofty vaulted interior with narrow side aisles; ribbed

vaulting supported by timber panelled cast-iron columns with

decorative plaster capitals and matching corbel stones set in

aisle walls. Altar set in shallow chancel; W gallery houses

organ with decorated pipes.

Area between chancel and E gable formerly served as

Presbytery (access by door in N elevation); now empty.

BURIAL GROUND: square rubbled walled burial ground; 19th and

20th century tombstones, many of those of 19th century date

being of finely inscribed local slate.

Burial ground wall (1843) continues around W front of church

with wide entrance flanked by simple capped gate-piers.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

A priest served the Tombae area from at least 1745, living

further upstream at Kinakyle by 1794. Nearby a 'new mass

house' was built about 1790, the ruins of which are marked on

1st ed OS, circa 1870. This 'masshouse' was superseded by

present Tombae church, which was opened for worship on Feb 2,

1829, though unfinished. Interior re-modelled and completed

1843-4 including insertion of priest's dwelling accommodation

in E portion; interior vaulted, lobby and organ gallery above constructed.

Tomintoul RC Church also has Presbytery incorporated within


River Livet formerly spanned by bridge opposite W entrance.

Upgraded B to A 9.11.87



THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1794), p. 35.

Peter F Anson, "Catholic Church Building in Scotland from the Reformation until the Outbreak of the First World War,

1560-1914", INNES REVIEW v (1954), pp. 125-140. NORTHERN

SCOT, 23 June 1979. Account of 150th anniversary of Tombae

church. Scottich Catholic Archives PL3/113, PL5/204, 206

(1827), BL 6/445/5-13; PL 3/311/1-6, IM 16/5, IM 32/2

(1843/44) BL6/402 (Burial ground).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/05/2016 17:20