James Barbour of Dumfries circa 1875 incorporating existing
T-plan parish church; latter 1799 with 1824 repairs (? by
James Thomson) (?including construction of jamb). Enclosed by irregular-plan churchyard.
CHURCH: Rubble-built with ashlar dressings (original
dressings droved), whitewashed with contrasting red ashlar
margins and rusticated quoins: openings now mostly
round-headed, circular gable windows. Original building
totally re-modelled and heightened with vestry and porch
added at E gable below timber and slate birdcage apex belfry: conical-roofed stair turret added in SW re-entrant angle
(original door in W gable). Shaped skews; roofs covered with
Interior: also by Barbour, with extensive heavy timberwork.
CHURCHYARD: Enclosed by rubble-built walls, mostly
ashlar-coped: gate at W (no gatepiers). Mostly 18th and 19th
century stone monuments and headstones, some with good
artisan sculpture; some table tombs; good aedicular (Ionic)
Johnston of Bearholm monument to S of vestry dated 1753;
Young of Craigielands mural monument; polygonal stone
possibly from Staffa or Giant's Causeway.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Category B for quality of churchyard.
SRO NRA(S) Annandale Bundle 151/2 includes "Discharge .....
from Annandale's chamberlain for his proportion of casting
the bell of Kirk of Kirkpatrick Juxta, 18th November 1673";
also accounts for repairs 1716 and re-thatching 1725.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/shep-dec2011.pdf, Annex 2, pp74-76.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.
Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.