Skip to content

This website uses cookies. Find out moreOK

Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


Print this record

There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 22/02/1988


  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Johnstone

National Grid Reference

  • NGRNY 6342 94404
  • Coordinates306342, 594404


Alexander Stevens, circa 1786. 2-storey stable block built

against slope and arranged in L-plan around S and W sides of

cobbled courtyard, latter at basement level. Coursely-droved

red ashlar with polished margins: square-headed openings,

small-paned sash windows; 1st floor openings mostly square.

S elevation in 3 + 2-bay arrangement with stabling

(substantial cast-iron Doric columns to stall bays supporting

upper floor); depressed-arched carriage house to right

converted in 19th century (?by William Burn, 1834), carriage

openings now windows (dovecot flight-holes in one upper

window); lean-to at right with wide outer pilaster strip. W

range has inserted garage opening, central part with doors

and windows to each floor in 3-bay arrangement; full-length

lean-to addition to courtyard with 4 large garage doors.

Corniced stacks; all roofs covered with graded slates.

Statement of Special Interest

The cast-iron columns - if original - are unusual for this

date. The original carriage house may have been blocked as

part of Burn's operations at Raehills.



Shown on RHP 10052 in SRO which is dated 1788.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest and these are selected according to criteria published in the, Annex 2, pp74-76.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries relating to works to listed buildings should be made to the local authority in the first instance. Listed building consent is required for works which a local authority considers will affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest and local authorities also decide if listed building consent is required.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The local authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see

Legislation introduced on 1 October 2015 allows us to state that: an object or structure fixed to the listed building; any object or structure within the curtilage of the listed building; and, any part or feature of the listed building that is not of architectural or historic interest may be excluded from a listing. If part of your building is not listed under the new legislation, the part will be excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at


Sorry, there are no images available for this record.


Sorry, there is no map available for this record.

Printed: 26/05/2016 17:26